USB-disk issue,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathias

Baseband Member
Hi.

I have some issues with a disk on a SATA to USB controller. I have plugged the SATA to USB converter into a 2,5" SATA disk and I have tried with an external resp. internal power source.

When I boot my pc with the "USB-disk" plugged in, my system freezes (during POST). I thought that would be a USB mass storage setup issue, so I checked my BIOS configuration.

There were a few things, that would make sense to edit, such as setting the speed for USB to full-speed rather than hi-speed and I edited the initial USB startup delay to 10 seconds, rather than the default 20.

I checked that legacy USB-support was enabled. OK. I still couldn't see the disk in the "removable disk" tab, so I rebooted the pc.

Afterwards I were able to see the disk (WDC...) on the "removable disk" tab in the AMI BIOS configuration , so I tried to reboot the pc, but it froze once again. I decided to try to start the pc without the disk, which was no problem. Afterwards I replugged the disk and Windows actually detected the controller AND the disk in the "safely remove hardware" box. I then checked the disk management settings, but the disk still wasn't here. It wasn't in the DISKPART DOS application either.

I suspect, that the problem is that, my HDD isn't plugged in during the initial Windows loading, but all the settings seems to be as they should.

I have read the manual for the controler, which states that there is no need to install the drivers, if you are running Windows XP or later.

I have tried to repeat this procedure on my other pc, where I'm running Ubuntu 9.10, but here the disk doesn't even seem to be detected.

System information:

Motherboard: ASUS P5GDC Pro
Bios: AMI
Operating System: Windows XP Home

If you need further information please ask.

EDIT: Oh and I have tried all this with several known working disks.

Any ideas?

USB boot is not enabled. The pc is setup to bootup from my main IDE disk and the second boot option is my IDE CD-RW drive.

I have just updated my BIOS to the latest revision, but that had no effect either.

OK. I tried to boot up from Hirens' Boot cd, but the cd wouldn't load with the disk plugged in either.

I double checked the BIOS configuration and noticed that I had forced the controller to be seen as a HDD. I tried to change this to "auto" and rebooted the pc.

Now I'm getting an "overclocked failed" error, whereas it seems that I must load the default configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom