USB devices cutting in and out when there is lighting??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Question USB devices cutting in and out when there is lighting???

So the other day it was storming pretty bad here. For some reason whenever there would be a strike of lighting outside, everything USB on my pc would turn off, and then back on a few seconds later. I have my pc plugged into a surge protector, there were no power outages. What could cause something so weird like this to happen haha?

|Steam-Braz90|*
braz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: USB devices cutting in and out when there is lighting???

Quick power loss and return ( or even just sudden power loss ) can cause electrical current to stray into places it's not supposed to. It sounds to me like a capacitor on your motherboard is blown or an inductor somewhere in the USB circuits shorts when it heats up. Either way, I recommend either replacing the mobo ( best solution because you are risking more damage to other components by using it ). You can RMA the board most likely.

Option two is to turn off your USB ports in bios and install a USB card or two inside your PC...just make sure at least one of them has a port to connect your front USB ports to.

computerrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by braz View Post
So the other day it was storming pretty bad here. For some reason whenever there would be a strike of lighting outside, everything USB on my pc would turn off, and then back on a few seconds later. I have my pc plugged into a surge protector, there were no power outages. What could cause something so weird like this to happen haha?
It might be plugged into a surge protector, but that won't help from outages (blackouts), or low voltages (brownouts).

IMO, get a battery backup with voltage regulation. I have a couple of them (my main one has a nice LCD screen on the front that I can toggle through various screens to see how much power is being used (wattage wise, % wise, etc.), or how much time is left on the battery, etc.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

hmmm I really don't think it would be a motherboard issue, this thing has been running flawlessly. This is the first time I have ever seen anything like it. Not a bad idea with the battery backup carnagex.

|Steam-Braz90|*
braz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker

This is one of the ones I have (my main unit):
Newegg.com - CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series GreenPower UPS CP1350AVRLCD 1350 VA 810 Watts 4 x 5-15R Battery/Surge Protected
4 x 5-15R Surge Protected Outlets UPS

My other unit is a regular, Tripp-Lite one.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote