usb devices and boot problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is to discuss problems involving usb devices and difficulties booting. i've read quite a few posts where people have found it impossible to boot with a particular combination, or any usb devices attached. the other day i experienced the same problem.

if you want to skip my little folk tale the main point is below the line at the bottom

short explaination (hey its my thread i'll babble if i want :p) i reformatted a hdd on one of my rigs in order to set up a dual boot system (fedora core 4/winxp pro) and was booting between the two os's setting up various things. i booted into xp and plugged in an xbox controller (got bored a while ago so i modded the cable to use with pc) and my creative muvo tx fm. when i tried to reboot back into fedora my computer halted at the detection of my secondary master. i left it for a while then reset. this time it halted at the memory check. next time it passed memory check and halted at ide detection again. at this point i was getting kind of annoyed. it was about 1:50 am and i had school in the morning, so i left it until the next afternoon. not wanting to be a moron and take my computer apart without turning it on directly before doing so i gave it another try. no luck. hit the power and leaned over the back of the pc and started unscrewing the first case screw. thats when i noticed my usb devices and slapped my forehead. i remembered the threads of similar problems, unplugged them and turned the pc on again. sure enough it boots without even opening the case. wow, and i said that was a short explaination.

back on topic. i started this thread in the hope that anyone who has experienced or knows anything about this type of problem could contribute as i have never seen any documentation about issues like this and perhaps we could all learn something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom