USB device removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tzom

Beta member
hello,

I'm having trouble when i try to remove my usb storage device. When i attempt to remove it i get message stated " the device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later. " so, I wait for a while and tried to remove it again and again.
Lately i have just removed it with getting the safe to remove message.
I think the problem could be a USB hub that i just started connecting it to.

Sounds like you have windows 2000. It sounds like something is running in the background to give you that kind of message. Try looking in your task manager and see whats running.

sPlAtOiD said:
Sounds like you have windows 2000.

No i'm actually using xp, but think i figure out the problem. I think the problem was that my antivirus software was using it. When i went to start a scan my usb device was one of the checked items to be scan if i had ran the antivirus scan. so, i just close my antivirus software and i was able to safely remove my usb device.

Windows XP does that to me all of the time. Just click OK on the error message and try again. Works for me everytime. If not, restart. What device do you have that you need to remove?

just pull it out lol I always do it to my ipods had those for 1 and 3 years no problem and ive got an external hardrive which has no bad sectors even though i just pull it out

saltynay said:
just pull it out lol I always do it to my ipods had those for 1 and 3 years no problem and ive got an external hardrive which has no bad sectors even though i just pull it out

LOL

Beat me to it, I never safely remove anything. lol

It is relatively safe to just pull the usb plug right out if it wont let you safely remove it. Programs like Windows Media Player will lie and still say it needs its resources when it doesnt. For example, ripping a CD to a external usb drive.
Its fine as long as you are not transfering data, check activity lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom