USB Contacted water, PC electrifies - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2014, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Lightbulb USB Contacted water, PC electrifies

Good day: today 2liters of water happily jumped on my table, contacting with a keyboard USB slot. Took cable out, hot dried, put back in. Not sure if put it in the same way (side). Worked fine for a few minutes, until contact started disappearing for a few seconds at a time until went off. Now, trying another USB cable, i touched the rig (the carcass) of the PC and was hit by electricity (not fatal but i can stil feel it). Switched power off, and same result when touching it. Took a spare LAN cable, cut both ends, got copper out, and unelectrified it to the radiators. Turned PC on, electrification gone. Tried same cable (more drying) into a different slot, and PC electrified to the same degree instantly (got cut again). Now: everything seems to be working fine, the PC slots that were used left unaffected.
UPDATE: Some false assumptions. It seems that whenever the power plug contact connects, the PC starts channeling a current through its entire rig. My guess would be that little water got to a place wheres an open contact, as there would not be any more reasons for this to happen (?). Tried plugging power socket upside down, but nothing changed :c Anything else to do but wait for (possible) watter to dry?

BearWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: USB Contacted water, PC electrifies

Unplug your PC, take out your mobo and put on cardboard and use an air duster on the mobo and your PC case around the area that got wet and also inside the usb slots to blow out any water then let it dry.

Chances are if there is any water left, youll see it coming out.

rulezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
The strange one

I would unplug the PC then hit the power button a few times AFTER its unplugged.. then let it sit and dry - you could take out some components and let them sit in rice because rice absorbs moisture.

iParanormalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

OP's post is from 12/19...I think it would be dry by now.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Okay, so to be fair it was 5a.m., i was tired as a bear 1 month late on hybernation and getting cut by electricity several times did not help. Also my former electricity knowledge turned to dust when I finally figured out what and why was happening. It turns out that in fact, I put the one side semi-wet cable the other way around, increasing humidity in PC USB slot, which allowed the current to reach the carcass and through that every cable etc. The theory about electrifying turned out to be a total mess, as only after some thinking i figured that the weak current I was experiencing, was happening because there is some capacity between my body and the ground through my rubber slippers, and when exposed to an alternating current it creates the effect of a capacitor, which i was feeling. The other day the current was gone, as the slot has expectedly dried up. Thanks for the responses though, was fun reading them now and looking back at getting cut/freaking out! Best of luck
BearWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
The strange one

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
OP's post is from 12/19...I think it would be dry by now.
HAHAHA good freaking point lol

iParanormalx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contact, electrified, usb, water