USB 2.0 Screw Up+ ...Other...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingadilly

Baseband Member
Howdy all. Looking for some advice or possibly obvious causes that I may have missed in the following problem that I'm attempting to correct on my girlfriend's comp.

At this point I'm kinda ready to reboot and reinstall the entire thing to try and get round the prob. But on account of "It" not being my comp and my girlfriend "prefering I didn't reinstall it" I'm keen to find a solution that won't result in problems :p

Ok here's the deal: We've noticed after a recent removal and reinsertion of an external HDD the usb 2.0 this device can perform faster message.

It then transpires that they're are no usb 2.0 compatible controllers on the system. Which isn't true.

Motherboard is a Foxconn K7S741MG-6L running an SiS 741 Chipset. Which from my recent googling seems to be a very iffy combination with Win Xp SP2 which she is also running.

However specifacation wise. the motherboard supports 5 X USB 2.0

I've run through the BIOS to check what I know to check.
(Seems the Usb 2.0 may have initially been lost by someone selecting "Restore Factory Settings")

I have managed to get an EHCI on to the device manager tab under Usb devices (By re enabling USb 2.0 Support in the BIOS)
however it reports 6 ports available.

At the same time i also have 2 SiS 7001 PCI To USB Open Host Controllers, reporting 3 ports each.

The back of the tower only sports 4 usb sockets.

Despite all possible combinations of sticking things in different holes I cannot get any device to go under the root hub/ EHCI.

My question is. Is the fact that i'm seeing 12 available ports when I only have 4 holes correct!? If so , How? and Why?

Despite the known compatibility issues with the SiS and WinXP SP2 Is there anything that I can try to get the USB hi speed hubs back up and running?

At the moment my options are either full reboot or purchasing a PCI usb 2.0 card as a workaround.

Any Help or comments on this one much appreciated (Thanky for taking the time to read it all)

I Will answer any questions to futher this one and will be active on the boards until I get a resolution to this one.

Regards

Ding.

click on system in control panel, then hardware, then device manager ( i am asuming windows xp ? ) is there any X's or exclamation points next to any of the USB at the bottom ?
also are there any "unknown" devices ?
if everything is ok , click the "+" sign to the LEFT of USB
If you see "enhanced controller " you have usb V2

Howdy, thanks for reply. Yes it is win XP Sp2

i've been through device manager and i do indeed have an Enhanced Host Controller.

No unknown devices and no tab for "other devices"

I also have to SiS 7001 open host Controllers and struggle to get anything to go in under the Enhanced controller.

My external HDD transfer rate is slow enough to equate to 25 mins to transfer a file of aprox 700mb in size. So even though I have an enhanced host controller i am not running at usb 2.0 speeds and i'm "%^%^!! if i can work out why. :p

did the usb ever work right or just one day not ?
are you using the usb ports that are hardwired to the mainboard or are they the ones on the front or back card slot that are cabled to the mainboard ?
I was going to suggest to go to the usb man ( usbman.com)
when i tried it i got a "forbidden" Something probbably wrong with their server, might be ok when you try.

Though I don't ever recall seeing usb2.0 in device manager i do very much recall transfering 700mb files in 45 secs to a minute (as opposed to its current 25 mins) So yes they have worked in the past.
I'm using what i beleive are the onboard usb ports ie the ones at the back of the tower that are mounted directly into the mobo. no PCI card Usb or anything like that.

I have crossed the usbman site already and whilst I haven't gone through the entire suggestion for this issue listed on that site I was kinda dismayed to see that the ultimate "If all else fails" solution was to buy a PCI usb card to workaround the problem with the SiS chipset and the Foxconn Motherboard, and they're apparent incompatability with Win XP SP2.

Will Look again.
Thanky

Ding

you will not "see" usb v2" listed in device manager. What you will see is enhanced, like this

usb.jpg

see the last one says enhanced , that is usb v2

EHCI

Howdy La1 thanks for the reply. I've been doing my research over the last week on this one and I can "create" an Enhanced Host Controller. By enabling USB 2.0 support via the BIOS settings. However nothing can be connected to that controllers hub. No matter what ports I use.

What has me confused is that the mobo does indeed support "5 X USB 2.0"

In device manager I see 2 seperate controllers and 2 root hubs. Both boasting 3 ports available. The tower unit only has 4 usb ports.

Turning on Usb 2.0 support creates a new Enhanced controller and its corresponding root hub (which claims to have 6 ports available)

The EHCI just sits there and anything i connect goes straight to one of the other 3 port contollers (USb Normal or Full speed, but no Hi Speed )

Also running An SiS chipset and a Foxconn mobo which according to some sources are legendarily incompatable with Windows XP as far as usb 2.0 goes. All ultimatley suggesting a PCI USB card to workaround the problem.

Currently looking at a full reinstall to try and circumvent the problem. Anything futher you got on this one I'd be glad to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom