USB 2.0 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

niknovi

Solid State Member
Hi all.

I have a PC with XP SP3 and USB2.0 support. It has many USB controllers installed: 4 Intel USB Universal Host Controller and 1 Intel USB2 Enhanced Host Controller. I also use Microsoft's UVCView (USB device viewer), which also shows ports and devices connected to ports.

My problem is the following. I use external drives for additional storage, and they also support USB 2.0. When I turn on the external drive at first it always works with slow speed, I suppose USB1.1, and a pop-up tab appears, saying that this device COULD run faster.

Then I have to remove the drive (safely, or sometimes not, when I am fed up with the drive), turn it off and on again. After 5 or 10 or whatever tries, the drive manages to connect with USB2.0 (basicaly I think it happens at random).

I've also tried with disabling this or that controller, sometimes leaving only Enhanced controleractive (+ one for USB mouse and keyboard), but in this case the drive either doesn't connect or connects with USB 2.0 (rarely).

Is there a way to FORCE the drive to connect with USB2.0 instead of USB1.1?

I don't really know, but I would say so. I checked the drives with driveragent.com and it founds 5 drivers out of date: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT, LG L1919S, HP LaserJet 1020, Plug and Play Monitor and a driver for one USB Mass Storage Device (but not for others). Nothing else was suggested for other devices.

These are some additional data from Sandra, maybe it might be helpful:

System : MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD MS-7529
Mainboard : MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD G31M3-L V2(MS-7529)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
System BIOS : American Megatrends Inc. 8.15

Chipset 1
Model : MSI (Bearlake) Processor to I/O Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom