USB 2.0 device is at USB 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

advancedgeek

Daemon Poster
When i tried to connect my digital camera (Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FS3) to my computer it doesn't recognize it as a usb 2.0 device and it seems to just recognize it as a standard usb device which probably is usb 1.0. My camera and my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3) both support USB 2.0 and it seems like my transfer rate is really slow and it takes like 2 mins to get a 80mb movie uploaded on my computer. I really need to know why this happens. I checked in the device manager and it shows that i have a USB 2.0 port but none of them are in use even when my camera is connected.

Hello,

This is because the USB port on the Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FS3 operates at USB 2.0 Full Speed, which is up to 12 Megabits per second (1.5 Megabytes per second), not USB 2.0 Hi-Speed, which is up to 480 Megabits per second (60 Megabytes per second).

The way manufacturers advertise their USB devices can be misleading. Note that the USB 2.0 specification encompasses all USB data transfer speeds, and so 'USB 2.0' alone does not imply Hi-Speed data transfer rates.

well wouldn't it still show up on USB2 port on device manager? I clicked on view then devices by connection which will show up which USB port is actually in use but it still uses the USB port not USB2.

Hello,

No, not necessarily, since USB Full-Speed was first specified in the USB 1.0 specification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom