Usb 2.0 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Usb 2.0

I have a problem with my USB sockets.

I have a packard Bell computer with 2 USB slots at the front, 2 at the back. The problem is that when I put either an MP3, iPod or USB Stick in the USB socket, the computer doesnt recgonise them.

It used to be fine, It recognised things like that no problem, then for a couple of weeks it only recognised them on occasion, but now they dont at all.

Does anyone know if I need a driver or anything? I dont really know what to do.

Old 12-27-2006, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Sorry for double post, but if you need anymore information just post.

(Now ive just realised there is an edit button.)

Old 12-27-2006, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
LA1
Super Techie

more info please
model of pc
what is your OS
Old 12-27-2006, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm on Windows XP Professional.. not sure how to check what model it is? Bit new at this.

I think it's called the Packard Bell iMedia 1507.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Bump?

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 12-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

USB ports are powered. The fact that they are disappearing may suggest you power supply is going down the tubes. Additionally, I would reinstall the moberboard chipset drivers which are on your system CD supplied by pacard bell. The other possibility is that XP is corrupted and you may need to back up all of your important data and then reinstall windows.

Edit: Try this: go to system restore and restore you system to a prio date, say a date last month. let me know what happens.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by RicoDirenzo
USB ports are powered. The fact that they are disappearing may suggest you power supply is going down the tubes. Additionally, I would reinstall the moberboard chipset drivers which are on your system CD supplied by pacard bell. The other possibility is that XP is corrupted and you may need to back up all of your important data and then reinstall windows.

Edit: Try this: go to system restore and restore you system to a prio date, say a date last month. let me know what happens.
Thanks for the reply, I forgot to add that stragely I have USB headphones which work perfectly when I put them in the front socket. Bu lother devices do not work.. I left the power off overnight to see if it was something to do with the power supply but I dont think it is.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
LA1
Super Techie

try booting into safe mode, then go to control panel, then system then hardware then devices, look to see if you have any uninstalled devices or any X or ! next to anything

another thought is you could try clearing your cmos, make sure your pc is off for this , all so check in your bios configs for any usb settings.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by RicoDirenzo
Thanks again for a reply,
I tried this, no effect, but the usb headphones still work.

And thankyou LA1 I will try what you mentioned as soon as i can.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

But the headphones are powered by the 5v of the USB. And the sound cames from the USB too or you have to connect it in the rear part in the jacket of your sound card? If sound cames from USB too, then reinstall your windows 'couse its corrupted (the faster way is reinstall it, repair it will take longer) if not, then your USB have power, but they are not sending information... so you have a problem there, check if un control panel>system>hardware tab>devices... if its listing your usb controler, if not, reinstall your motherboar drivers.

Closed Thread