Urgent: PC Randomly Turns ITself off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbid

Beta member
Ok this is becoming a real annoyance now.

On Thursday i think (3/5/07) my pc had been running from 11pm 2/5/07- 2pm 3/5/07 so 15 hours and this tends to be a daily occurance.
I turned it off via the power button cos i was in a hurry and didnt have enough time to shutdown properly and went to work.

I came back at 11pm as usual that night

turned my pc on.. booted up normally.. started to load teamspeak which i use with the game Entropia Universe.. BANG screen black.. PC had turned itself off.. EXACTLY like a powercut, keyboard lights on but my pc itself lifeless.

I press the power button and boot up.. bang again.

Now this has been going on since thursday night.

now i kept powering it up when it turned itself off and thursday night i got into my game and everything and it was on and running for the usual 15 hrs.. no problems. Turn it off friday morning goto work. Firdya night same again!!

It varies too.. sometimes it turns off in boot, sometimes it turns off form 1-5 mins on desktop.. sometimes 15 mins. then lastnight i watched a 2hr 30min movie on my pc, logged into my game then 3 hrs into the game turned itself off. I had the side off my case, and the case thermo on the floor and reading 23degree air temp.
On one occasion after a poweroff i went into the BIOS and checked the temp MOBO@ 39degrees C
Processor@ 42 degrees C

this was straight after the poweroff.

the systems 1 yr old

amd 64 3200
1gb crucial memory (lifetime warrenty)
radeon x700s 256mb
soundblaster audigy2
westerndigital i think 78gb hd
nec dvd-rw +/- dual layer
500w psu
cant remember the mobo manufacturer

I think this may be a temperature issue. i do need to clean all the fans in my case.
i have only psu with 2 fans, and 2 case fans, did have 3 but one broke.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

I beleive my gfx card fan is a bit funny as a while ago it was making a sound but that i think has gone. Also if it was gfx cooling i wouldnt be able to play the game for 3-4 hrs straight at ANY point without it crashing?

I Think my PSU is making a whining sound, like a ungreased spindle as an example. but its not always a constant sound, it "pulsates in sound" like a house alarm. But i have noticed when my PC DOESNT turn itself off the noise seems less/ gone most fo the time.

The PSU is running fairly hot to touch after 30 mins to 1 hr.

Im suspecting my PSU as my problem as i seem to remember someone telling 0me once a noisey psu = a bad one.

Suggestions and idea?

I need to get this working so i can do my university work

Its prob not a temp issue, but if your psu gets hot to touch then i would blame the psu. So it might be that

well it was very warm to touch

dust bunnies are rmapant so i need to clean tho whole pc

i think im gonna spalsh ona a new psu and a 3rd fan, rethermal paste my cpu

also

i just thought

dunno if this will have any effect, i have a case fan where after a short while 1 by 1 all the lights in the fan died but the fan works... would this cause my problem if its faulty since its linked to the psu

i would put my money on the power supply.

what is the current model you have?

and i would suggest a HIPER 530 or 580w, or this one.

but before we go and swap out psu's, i assume you are running windows xp. when it turns off, do you see a hint of blue on the screen? click start, then control panel. open system and go to the advanced tab. on the startup and recovery section at the bottom, click settings. in the middle there is a section that says system failure, uncheck automatically restart, and hit ok, then hit ok again.

next time the problem happens, there might be a blue screen with some info on it. if not then its most likely the psu.

no hint of blue screen its just as if theres a powercut

im running xp pro and my psu i cant remember the names but its a really obscure one... only cost me 20 bucks so i know its not a mucher. but its lasted a year.

I have the original psu i got with the psu which i replaced because i ssupsected that was faulty.. i dont know if i dare plug the other in and try that

i would just reccomend to get a new power supply then. the psu's that come with cases usually go out with in the first few hours, or they last for a few weeks then go.

and just some inside stuff, my main pc (PC1 in my sig) is running a $15 logisys 350w, and its running great, but ive only had this pc since early jan of this year, it was a new years gift to myself, but this psu runs great. there are its off days when its not acting right, but thats why i have a voltage analyser, so if you can, get yourself a voltage meter, and test the 12v and 5v rails. i havent done it in about a month or so, but the 12v is the yellow wire and black next to it, and 5v is the red wire and the black next to it, the colored wires being the + and blacks being the -

i am unsure on how to test the 3.5v lines, but i guess someone here does...

do you have any freinds that would loan you a psu to test in your rig, or a different psu around, or even can you do a quick swap with a psu in another rig to test it?

btw, what are your average temps in your systm (load and idle)? if you dont know, get a program called speedfan, located at this site

it will also tell you your voltages if your motherboard supports it.

and if your system is full of dust, it might be wise to clean it out, i was getting errors and dusted it and man did it make a diff, quieter, little faster, cooler, and stoped bsod'ing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom