Urgent Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega43

Beta member
Hello To all members,

Right now i am in a big mess and would like the help of the members here. Ill try to explain my problem clearly..
Long story short..

Early today i was installing service pack 2 for windows xp when all of a sudden my computer just restarted out of nowhere and during installation... Next while it would load windows again it would again restart/powerdown completely without windows ever loading fully. So basically there is no way for me to access anything..
So what i did was try to run boot up by disk. I tried to do a repair by using my windows cd. It looked fine until it got to windows setup.. When it got there it asked me for a driver.. I think something to deal with usb.. ( it was during the installing drivers process)
Since it could not find the file i could not continue with the installation and the computer would restart.. i tried to do a last known good configuration it would do nothing...
So what i decided to do was install windows on my hard drive again.. But i was afriad that it would delete all my important info so instead of saving the installation file on c:\windows I named a new folder called OS BACkUP and it installed from there using the windows cd. Everything installed correctly but i cant access my old files.. Its not deleted thats for sure because i have my programs in tact.. But None of my previous user names are there.. It basically looks like a fresh version of windows xp.
Also when i start my computer now it gives me the choice of two OS... Windows xp home, and windows xp home.. obviously one is the fresh windows install and the other is my old files still frozen in the installation setup bug....

I hope this all made sense.. Any advice? Is there a way to fuse the two?

I will love the person who can help me through this! :)

Thank you.

You can try to use Partition Magic to find the lost files . Since you have windows on both partitions i dont know if partition magic will be able to merge the two . Or use one of these or something like these to restore your files.
Easy Recovery v6.04
Final Data Enterprise v2.0
Get Data Back v2.1
Recover My Files v3.22

actually i just fixed it... What i did was copied over the .sys that i need and copied it over to the windows/temp folder where its needed. Went back old partition and it worked.. After that i edited the boot.ini to get rid of the other os..

Thank for your help though.. Greatly appreciated!

Excellent forum by the way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom