*URGENT* Hard Disks Dead/Dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Switch

Fully Optimized
This is bad, IÂ’m surprised my computer is even running.

My smaller 30GB drive won't reformat. i had to use the XP CD as a boot device because it won't boot. When Windows installs (doesn't matter what stage) IÂ’ll get the BSOD Stop Error screen. The one time it did reformat though, when the Welcome screen came up for windows, IÂ’d get that BSOD--I think the drive is dead because IÂ’ve used 4 different XP CD's and none of them will reformat.

So I disconnected it and hooked up my main drive again.

My main drive just crashed on me about 20 minutes ago. I was browsing the internet when all my windows closed and WMP stopped playback. All I had was a blank desktop--no start menu, no icons. I did a hard reboot and during the boot up, when my motherboard looks for a boot device, it said DISK BOOT FAILURE. I checked the connections and everything was fine. I rebooted, and it started up like it normally would.

My hard drives are pretty old (you can tell by their size, 30GB and 60GB) and something in my gut is telling my to back up my data before something even worse happens.

Are my HD's dead? Do I need to buy replacement drives?

your 30gb hd might be faulty check it with the manufacturer diagnostic software which you can easily obtain from its site , as for your bigger hd i think its fine , the overall problem (bsods) is unrelated to any of your hds, do these

1) have a good look in your motherboard , search for bad capacitors see these examples
http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

2) get into the bios and goto pc health/hardware monitoring and report back voltages & temperature , also specify what cpu you got so ill be able to determine if the temperature is within normal specs

I've already checked that and its fine. I wouldn't be surprised if the HD's are going bad. their old. The BSOD's are happening with the smaller drive.

Sw1tCh[FX] said:
This is bad, IÂ’m surprised my computer is even running.

My smaller 30GB drive won't reformat. i had to use the XP CD as a boot device because it won't boot. When Windows installs (doesn't matter what stage) IÂ’ll get the BSOD Stop Error screen. The one time it did reformat though, when the Welcome screen came up for windows, IÂ’d get that BSOD--I think the drive is dead because IÂ’ve used 4 different XP CD's and none of them will reformat.

So I disconnected it and hooked up my main drive again.

My main drive just crashed on me about 20 minutes ago. I was browsing the internet when all my windows closed and WMP stopped playback. All I had was a blank desktop--no start menu, no icons. I did a hard reboot and during the boot up, when my motherboard looks for a boot device, it said DISK BOOT FAILURE. I checked the connections and everything was fine. I rebooted, and it started up like it normally would.

My hard drives are pretty old (you can tell by their size, 30GB and 60GB) and something in my gut is telling my to back up my data before something even worse happens.

Are my HD's dead? Do I need to buy replacement drives?

Thats the error I got when my hard drive died on me. Yeah, they kicked the can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom