URGENT: Event 51 (paging), 50 (write failed) and 12 (drive dissapeared) on my DAW!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidtams

Solid State Member
Please guide me ASAP so that i dont lose all my songs!!!

Ive been working on mixing and editing my bands songs for a month now and I got some serious errors last night, causing me to lose data and completely lock my pc right up. Tried googling, probably gonna have drive failure, but there were so many varied responses to these event error numbers....

1. maybe a coincidence, maybe the cause to the problem... I just replaced my PSU from one underrated for my system that was dropping on the +12v rail, to a 430 watt antec truepower... Intel desktop Util reports good stable voltages now, but im not ruling it out cause i swapped the PSU to the new one 6 hours before this happened.

2. IDU acts funny often on this... app hangs sometimes, the related program Adminworksagent x6 hangs up sometimes. Wierd thing is, as i was rendering a track, i opened up the IDU to check my voltagees and temps (new cooler too) and that is when i had the data loss, errors, and complete system hang up. dont know if it caused it or not.

3. the next time i booted up, PC was responding wierd ( mouse and window movement hanging a 1 second intervals... I opened up task manager, and IDU was causing what looked like a sawtooth pattern on my cpu graph... 2% to 0% to 2% to 0%... all in exact half second increments, repeated for minutes untill i opened IDU and closed it.
-Also for some reason my 2nd monitor had no signal when i booted this time. After that i rebooted and all is normal...

4. playback of that song will result now in the PC locking up completely every time when i get to the end of the song. Not good. I havent tried other songs since this, i dont want my drive to kick the bucket before i back it up... which forces me to ask...
-Is this drive gonna lock up when i try to salvage the data on it?
Is there a drive imager out there that i can uncheck this particular song's folder so it doesnt lock up when i make an image?

Could it be a memory issue? ive heard a lot of things it could be...
I can't guess here cause my band's near future is directly tied into this nightmare of a PC im working on.

my ****ty PC is an intel d915gag board,
P4 3.2 with HT (ive heard something about the HT causing this too)
drive that lost data is a MAXTOR 7y250m0 ( always runs warmer and noisy )
512 *2 geil matched set RAM
+ 256 *2 Nanya RAM
dual monitor vid card, some cheap nvidia one
M audio delta 1010lt audio card
primary drive is a WD 80 gig
yadda yadda..

Oh yeah, this happened a day after i downloaded the latest version of Reaper (DAW software)... who likes to keep you on your toes with updates...

Event log in order of occurence:

event id #57:
The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

event 26: (numerous instances)
Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file D:\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file D:\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file D:\Reaper projects\Void\void hates me2.wav_stems_-17-Dfh Sampler.wav. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file D:\$BitMap. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file D:\Reaper projects\Void. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file D:\Reaper projects\Void\void hates me2.wav_stems_-17-Dfh Sampler.wav.reapeaks. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file D:\$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file D:\Reaper projects. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

Event ID 51:

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.

event ID 26:

Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file D:\Reaper projects\Void\void hates me2.wav_stems_-17-Dfh Sampler.wav. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

Event ID 50:

{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file . The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

Event ID 12:

The device 'Maxtor 7Y250M0' (IDE\DiskMaxtor_7Y250M0__________________________YAR511W0\36594e364b444535202020202020202020202020) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

Event ID 57: (4 of these in a row)

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

event ID 50:

{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file . The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

Event ID 26

followed by one more event 57.

Like i said now when i try to play the song, it gets towardss the end, the transport flashes red (read failure) and PC locks up completely.

Am I correct in assuming it's the drive, or could it be one of the other things i mentioned??

I guess a drive image wont be needed, as its not the operating system drive... Just ALL my music, band music, VST instruments... you know, all the important stuff...
So I assume i should be fine if I copy everything except for the faulted song... But im confused about all those other files that corrupted, like D:\$Mft and the reaper project folder, and D:\$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J.
What should i include/exclude when i copy the data?

Re: URGENT: Event 51 (paging), 50 (write failed) and 12 (drive dissapeared) on my DAW

What concerns me is that the issue may very well be a failing harddrive. I would back up everything IMMEDIATELY. What make is your harddrive, i.e. Western Digital, Seagate, etc.?

Re: URGENT: Event 51 (paging), 50 (write failed) and 12 (drive dissapeared) on my DAW

its a MAXTOR 7y250m0 and ive been concerned about it since i bought it... used :(
was told it only had a years use, i get it with bad sectors already. I just went out and bought a barricuda 500 gig, best buy was open and i dont have time to waste being picky on finding a good deal so i know i got ripped off at 70 bucks.

I just want to know what is gonna happen when i get to those files... the ones that freeze my pc when i play them... will they copy over, or will my pc crash when i try to copy... Should I avoid copying the files mentioned in the event log??

I think the same. It's telling you it has 1 week to live.

My last attempt didnt post...
its a maxtor drive, real noisy seeking.

I just bought a new drive and got ripped off in Best Buy but i need this thing now, so thats what i get.

And yeah heard that death is just around the corner with those symptoms.

I just want to know if my PC is going to hang up on me when i copy the drive and it gets to the bad files. Since every time i try to play that song that it screwed up on, my PC locks up.
but I need to move ahead so im gonna give it a go with the diskcopy, see what happens. Doing an error check/fix right now.

Alright, starting to pull my hair out...
Started Using Easus partition manager last night about 8 hours ago... set it up to copy, was seeing some progress and the drive sounder normal, ran good for about 5 or 10 minutes, then slowed to a near standstill.
Its still working... I think, but the drive is only seeking maybe once a minute or so, with lots of silence in between... I was listening to it last night and very very faintly, in between lots of silence from the drive, i could hear a short high pitched buzzy kind of noise, from the drive ( i think it was from that drive...)

computer is not locked up, but its wierd...
I have an intel board with a P4 3.2 processor, and even tho it is single core, I think because of the dual channel memory, XP shows me two CPU graphs.... during this process, since it hit its problem area, for the last 8 hours my CPU grapph on the right is constantly pegged to the top, with small, evenly spaced drops in use, each time returning to redline. My CPU graph on the other side looks completely normal, fluctuating in relation to the load that i am putting on the PC. Google chrome opened up in 2 seconds flat and seems just fine, but other areas of the PC are bogged down... for example mouse movement, and window moving... both glitchy right now.

I really dont know wether to start thinking it could be something else like the RAM... any thoughts? Ive never seen my CPU graph look like that... acting like its dedicating one channel for the operation but maybe its normal. anyone know about the dual channel setup and HT on a pentium?

well i gained 1% on progress, guess ill leave it going. last nite it hit its wall at 74% and im at 88% now. only time will tell. If this doesnt work i guess ill try copying folder at a time, and try not to copy the faulted files.

Oh forgot to mention that if windows plays a system sound right now its all distorted and choppy, drawn out. wierd.

OK... Good news/Bad news+more bad news-

Good news is, the data transfer was successful, all my tracks play perfectly (except the one that it failed on) and having auto save set to 5 minute intervals in Reaper saved me from all but the last 5 minutes...

Bad news is, since i didnt have time to shop around, I wound up buying the most unreliable drive in the world apparently. Barricuda 500GB. Took a look at Newegg and saw that maybe 1 out of 4 reviews said that their drive only lasted months, if not only weeks. On top of that, they send you a refurbished as a replacement. Not the kind of drive I wanted to buy for a DAW. All i wanted was a SATA cable and i was gonna back it up to a 2.5 drive i had laying around, a WD 160 GB. which leads to more bad news...
After having good luck copying to the new 500Gb drive, i decided to format the 160Gb drive for a backup disk. It seemed to work just fine i had used it to move some big files without a problem. Had Vista on it from what i can tell, for an HP laptop. Drive is 2 yrs old. Was formatting, slowly, looked like it was gonna be another hour so i took off. When i came back the Drive DISSAPEARED and has the click of death.

The device 'WDC WD1600BEVS-60RST0' (IDE\DiskWDC_WD1600BEVS-60RST0___________________04.01G04\5&158863d3&0&0.0.0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

This happened at 10:53 and I started formating it around 6:00

I rebooted and the bios screen hung, xp splash screen hung, finally finished booting and no drive, still click of death.

Really?? 2 fried drives in 48hrs???
the cables all seem fine and tight. What is up with this?

It depends on the Barracuda. Seagate's 11 series were horrible. But their 12 series are fine. I'm running two Seagate 8 series for 4+ years without an issue. I am concerned that more is going on in your system than failing harddrives. I would replace your SATA cables and test your power supply with a digital multimeter. If the power supply is bad it will cause damage.

I don't know how much time your old hdd has left but try this and it may work.....

1.Go ahead and setup your new hdd in your pc attach new sata cables to it so it will have a good fresh start.
2.Install windows vista or window 7 back on there and just get the bare basics:
:Good Anitivirus, firewall and antimaiware/
:.Reinstall all of your drivers and including chipset drivers, it will help in the long run.
:Last start soft patching windows vista/7 any updates so OS wil notl bark at you until something conflicts with one another.

Now Once you have your machine setup do it like this quickly slave your old sata drive and remember to properly setup up the jumpers.

Next I want you to tell windows to give you permission and full accesss to the hdd, it will take less than 5 minutes to accomplish this.

Finally once you have it ready, either try to transfer all of your main songs including any video files to a 4gb flash drive.
Yes you can transfer to your new hdd if that doesn't fly so well, so to make sure you have a good chance if getting almost everything back use this.

Piriform - Download it's under 4MB's so it will hardly take up any room.
Let me know if this works out for you.

Newegg.com - Seagate ST3500641AS-RK 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

That is the replacement i bought and copied my media drive to... as you can see there is an 8:12 ratio of 1 egg/5eggs... looks like the bad ones.

As for that laptop WD drive that died, im gonna chalk that one up to coincidence. It was a drive that was "thrown in as an extra" when i bought a bunch of soundcards and a crappy dell-cake computer. Some of the stuff he gave me ended up being nothing more than a paperweight. I just wanted to use that drive as a backup and put it away.

Its been running fine with the new media drive, but I may go excersizs Best Buys 14 day return policy. The have the WD black's there i think ill grab one of those.

Any suggestions for replacing my system drive? its a 6 yr old WD 80 gig, should i take a chance at one of these recertified velociraptors?
Newegg.com - Recertified: Western Digital VelociRaptor WD740HLFS 74GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
how smart would it be to get a recertified drive??

Well you could get a recertified hdd but down the road in the year it will you nothing but pain...
Look, take my advice if your willing to spend atleast 7.00 more get this:
Newegg.com - Western Digital AV WD1600AVJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal AV Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Atleast when it's new, and it will have a 1 or 2 year warranty on it, I know your on a tight budget but don't get a cold pile of refried beans that will make you sick in the long run...

Look at this also this is for 44.99 plus it has a capacity of 320.00 if you need this by friday just ups 3 day select for less than 8.00 bucks and they will have it banging on your door by 3pm ;)
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Choices are yours though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom