upgrade notebook RAM HP - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2006, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to teemo189
Angry upgrade notebook RAM HP

Currently I have a HP Pavillion Laptop-n5450 running XP-Pro

Memory (RAM) in MB:_____128MB______
Processor type:____Intel Pentium III_____
Processor speed (MHz):____693 MHz______
Hard Drive Capacity:____20G______

Problem Description:
I went to crucial and scanned my system(said I have 512MB possible), which then suggested I buy a 144pin SDRAM PC133 256MB stick to upgrade my current laptop(HP Pavillion n5450). So then I went to NewEgg where I saw some nice Rosewill RAM and after reading two other reviews that said this particular memory worked in an n5430 and an n5470, I then proceeded to buy two(2) 256MB SDRAM PC133 144pin sticks. I placed both of them in my laptop, and the computer simply wouldnt even get to the BIOS. It just starts for about five seconds(no sound or display), and then reboots. Then I put the old RAM back in along with a new one, and after initializing, I got an error "0232: Extended RAM Failed at offset: 1B". Currently Im running the latest BIOS version possible(GC.M1.63) with XP Pro installed. Does anyone know if the RAM is defective or that my computer just wont accept it? My old RAM is a PC133 SDRAM 144pin 128MB stick.

Old 02-19-2006, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to FghtinIrshNvrDi Send a message via Yahoo to FghtinIrshNvrDi

so did you say that it worked again after replacing the old ram?

<b>I'm an unhyphenated American.</b>
System Specs:
Intel Q6600 @ 3200 1.4v
Abit IP35 Pro "The Snake"
2x2gb A-Data @ 800
Diamond HD 3870 512mb

Great FORD TRUCK resource: http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com
Old 02-19-2006, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to teemo189

Yeah, after replacing the new RAM with my old RAM, everything works fine. Also, Ive tried creating a bootup disk with memtest86 and Windows Memory Tester to try and verify if the new RAM is bad, but the system just doesnt see it at all(if i am running the memory test at bootup with ONLY the new RAM..), it just keep restarting the machine.
Closed Thread