Updating Monitor Driver, need help. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Updating Monitor Driver, need help.

I recently updated from 32bit Vista to the 64 bit version of Windows 7 Home premium by way of a clean install. This made it to where I had to update quite a few of the drivers on my computer. One of which was my Display adapter (Graphics Utility), Nvidia, I had to go Nvidia's web site to get the actual update. It seems that a lot of the drivers on my computer are no longer recognized, so performance is not quite what it could be. Currently, my computer shows that I am useing a Generic PnP Monitor. I have located the product features list for my computer and it tells me that the monitor is (15.4" WXGA high-definition widescreen display with brightview technology and 1280 x 800 resolution) not a standard monitor. I have tried updating the monitor driver, by going through my resolutions advanced settings and selecting properties for my monitor and then attempting to update from there. But, It tells me that my "Generic PnP Monitor" is up to date. I would like to know if there is some way to get the update for my monitor. I'm somewhat Computer literate, but a lot of this is new to me.

My manufacturer lists my monitor as: 15.4" WXGA high-definition widescreen display with brightview technology and 1280 x 800 resolution.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you --Dom

Old 10-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Default Re: Updating Monitor Driver, need help.

I don't see what the problem is? If it's working fine and displaying at what you want, then surely the driver is ok.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 10-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

yea Im with Yamikotai on this one, its working fine. I dont think your going to get a performance increase in using the manufactor driver for video. I would think the only thing different would be any type of special features it might have might not work, and of course the software the company gives you.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

The only update that might be available for your monitor would be a Color Profile. ICC profile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is the Make and Model Number of your monitor?
Old 10-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I've only had windows 7 for a few days, and did not really notice that my graphics card was not being used until I tried to adjust my screen resolution. I just want to be able to use what I payed for. I watch lots of movies and play many online games, I figure I might as well get optimum performance.

I don't really know the product number of my monitor, I wont be able to find it in my System info, as its listed as Generic. I'll look through what I have from when I purchased it. When I figure it out I'll post it.

Thanks for replying so soon.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Your Monitor should have a Label on the back of it with all the info
Old 11-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I am using a laptop, so I'd have to take the screen apart to get to that sort of info. I'm confidant that I could do it, but I'd really rather not be mistaken in my disassembling and reassembling abilities. Finding the manufactures info is proving to be more difficult than i first thought.

Closed Thread