Updating Bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redmo0n

Techalicious
My friend bought a second stick of 512mb ddr ram and when installed it won't register as dual channel, and the post screen shows only 512 ram (while my computer and cpu-z show 1 gig single channel)

I know it is a bios issue and was wondering how i go about updating bios using either a CD rom or a usb drive.

You'll have to go onto yourmotherboard manufacturer's website and look up the EXACT model that you have, and see if your motherboard can in fact boot off of USB devices. Most newer ones can, but I'd check to make sure (plug a usb drive in an dthen reboot, and check to see if you're able to boot off of it.

Hello,

Is he absolutely certain that the new memory module is compatible with his motherboard?

Has he tried resetting the BIOS, and/or checking the BIOS settings?

How are you certain that it's a BIOS issue?

As always, flashing the BIOS is risky. I've flashed many motherboards on desktop computers and laptops, and I've had to send two computers back to the manufacturer to be serviced because of failed updates corrupting the BIOS.

As carnageX said, if a BIOS update is available, it is likely to be available to download on the manufacturer's website - the laptop manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer. It's common manufacturers provide users with BIOS updates which can be performed when booted into Windows.

How are you certain that it's a BIOS issue?

Could a faulty psu be causing it not to pickup as dual?

otherwise it is 99% a bios issue. His motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-VM800PMC

I downloaded the bios update which came with 3 files

-VM800PMC.F4

-autoexec

-FLASH895

I tried to run the autoexec but when it loaded it would get an error when i told it to load the VM800PMC.F4 file.

Then i tried putting the files on my usb and then running the flash tool that his motherboard has (Pressing F8 in bios) and i selected the file but when it was "checking" it had an error.

I have tried 3 different version of the bios (including the most current) and can't get them to work. I am doing something wrong more than likely so can someone tell me what?

It's to do with bios!

I gave him my old 2 sticks of ram (DDR2 2x512) so he can return his and buy me a cpu cooler (for giving him ram :D)

They are also not showing as dual channel and the sticks are perfectly fine since my system shows them as dual channel.

Someone please help!

they usually dont have to be identical, i've run several types of ram in my system at the same time no problem.
are you sure you have them in the right slots?
ie they may not go into the same color slot or right next to each other, or they may. try it both ways. although, on that mobo i would assume they were the same color as it supports 2 different kinds of ram.
GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-VM800PMC
*from specs*
4 DIMM memory slots (supports up to 2GB memory by DDR/DDR2)
Supports 1.8V/1.5V DDR DIMM
2 DIMM supports DDR2 533/400 DIMM
2 DIMM supports DDR400/333/266

how about the voltage of the ram you are giving him? is it within the range? if it is not showing up in the post, that could certainly be the problem.

Neither the 1 gig (2x512 ddr2) or the 1 gig (2x512 ddr) where showing as 1 gig in post.

Cpuz and my computer, even bios show as 1 gig, but not dual channel

I just really need to know how to update his bios either with a cd or usb since he doesn't have a floppy drive and i am to lazy to take mine out and lend to him :p

I can't remember what ram it was, has an orange and white tag on it but its some named brand like hynix.

DDR2 533 512MB x 2 both in correct slots (showing as 1 gig in everything but post which shows 512 for some stupid reason)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom