Updated computer won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, welcome to tf. k, on the pc, i gotta say that the ps might be bad or something along those lines like a bad connection on the mobo. now you say that u took it to a place and they said it posted. they probably used their own ps. so step one would be to get a new ps, but then again, u updated the bios right? maybe that went horribly wrong. is there a jumper on the mobo that loads all default, like the o **** jumper? o also, to reset the bios, just unplugging the ps wont do it, you gotta take that button cell battery off of it, too.

I tried another power supply and success (to a degree). The computer powers up, however there are no beeps and this message appears after a few seconds:-
"Reboot and select proper boot device
or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."

Since I was able to get into the Operating system (XP Home) prior to replacing the mobo, something else is now wrong.
Any help out there ?

It would have been easier to just get graphics card and disable the onboard graphics in bios. Nitestick is right you will need all hardware changes and drivers added to harddrive for it to work.

Richard Laymon, seems that you don't even got to the pint when OS loads. this means that:
1) your hdd is not connected properly (bad/flipped cable/connectgion)
- check the connection (again)
2) your hdd is connected , but not recognized in the bios
- go to bios and fix this
3) bood device list in bios either excludes hdd or or just can't get to it, stuck on querying other devices to boot (cd/fd/usb...)
- go to the bios and fix this.
4) your hdd (or only boot partition) is damaged,and bios doesn't see it as bootable device
- start from xp boootable cd, go to recovery console, execute there 2 commands that will fix the issue:
a)fixboot
b)fixmbr.

Since you changed mobo - you windows will not boot (even IF you correct the above mentioned problem and will be able to boot from hdd) (only linux and win98/95) can do that.
YOu will requre to repair windows, or reistall it altogether.

Since I couldn't get into Windows I went ahead and installed a new Windows, formatting the partitioned drive in the process. Upon the first re-boot I'm left at a black screen with a single white cursor blinking away for (probably) ever. No text, just a black screen with a solitary blinking cursor :(
Whats happening to this computer :(

Well whilst waiting for an answer I placed the hard drive in my computer to see what was what. I deleted everything that looked official (including hidden and system files). I replaced the drive back into it's own tower and tried again, still nada :(
after waiting a few hours I decided to bite the bullet and format the second partition even though I deleted what I assumed was everything related to Windows.
Windows almost fell into the drive and it's running smooth. So it would appear that something on that second partition was preventing the install of an operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom