Unsure as to the cause of this problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 05:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default [UPDATE] Unsure as to the cause of this problem

Hi there,

So last week my PC unexpectedly shut down for no apparent reason, and all efforts to make it start again failed. I believed the problem lay in the motherboard as the PSU was still apparently working fine; when switching the PSU on, power would flash through the system and then die completely. However, when I installed the new motherboard (exactly the same model as before) the problem persisted. After plugging in the power cables again, one at a time, the system booted up, but then crashed after a few seconds, restarted itself, crashed, and repeated that cycle until it would just hang, power on, but before the POST test. Since then, I removed the power and cables for the secondary HDD, SDD and optical drive (the boot drive is a RevoDrive), but that didn't change anything.

Now I'm thoroughly stumped, and I'd appreciate any advice that could point me in the right direction.

Many thanks.

ASUS P6X58D-E -- Intel i7 930 @ 2.3 GHz -- NVIDIA GTX 570 -- 6x2GB OCZ 1.5GHz -- Corsair 1200W PSU -- RevoDrive 50GB (Win7 64bit Ultimate) / Crucial 64GB SSD / Samsung 7,200 RPM 1.5TB -- Antec 900

Old 09-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Unsure as to the cause of this problem

Try resetting BIOS. Could also be your RAM. Try using fewer sticks every boot up until this problem resolves.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Will give those a try, thanks.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Sounds like the Power Supply to me.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The steps provided by MindoverMaster proved helpful in pointing me in the right direction. Tried a hard reset of the BIOS (even though it was a new motherboard and wouldn't have had duff settings) which didn't work, and then removed RAM until something booting became normal. The problem apparently lies in the DIMM sockets; I can plug RAM into sockets A1, A2 and C1 and C2 and get normal booting and operation, but having RAM in sockets B1 and B2 reproduced the (boot/crash/boot/crash/boot OK) cycle that I had before. As far as I can tell, all my RAM works fine; having 1 stick in slot A1 and booting with each one seperately showed normal booting and identified in the POST screen.

In short, Thank you for the help in getting my PC back up and running Any ideas as to why some DIMM slots seem to be not working (on a new motherboard, too ) would be also greatly appreciated.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

I have one bad slot on my board. Rather than goofing up, it just doesn't register it. So I'm running 3 x 2GB instead of my 4. But even with 6GB, I'm OK.

I don't know why this happens, but for some reason, it likes some combinations, while not others.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

This is a new Motherboard? You should be able to return it and get a new one if you have a defective slot.

Closed Thread