Unresponsive monitor and random restart?

dahlia13

Solid State Member
Hey all, I built my first computer in January with the help of the pros here and I've been loving it ever since. However, I've been having a few minor little hiccups and I'm not sure if I should worry about it much or not right now.

Every so often, say a couple months in between, my monitors will flicker and go on standby while the computer is still on and running just fine (yes, all my sleeping/hibernating settings have been turned off) even the speakers continue to run in the monitors. Sometimes it will go back to working regularly after a bit of flickering and other times I may have to manually restart the system to get the monitors to run again. Just today, it did this strange flickering and did not turn back on, in which I had to restart the system, and a few hours later my computer spontaneously restarted itself. Could I possibly have a failing part? Everything I bought was brand new, save for maybe my PSU which was described as only been taken out to benchmark and then re-sold- everything did look pretty mint condition when I got it. My monitors are also both pretty old if they have anything to do with it. I have about 3 fans in my very spacious case which is free of messy wiring due to routing them all in the back panel so I don't believe it's an overheating issue, though I have a feeling it may be GPU related...this also happened about an hour or so after I had just dusted the inside of my computer.

Thanks for looking!!

Edit 1: After downloading HWMonitor, it appears the inside of my computer is about 100 F. If this is too hot, what fans or cooling systems do you recommend? :)

100 F is fine i think.
mine gets to 111 F when under stress. 91 F right now as i am typing.

I am guessing it's your GPU too if restarting the computer fixed the problem.

you could try re-installing your video card drivers first. and make sure the video cable connecting to the monitors are firm in place. could also try a different cable, it's super rare but cables do go bad.
what were you doing when these flickering episodes happened by the way?

Back
Top Bottom