Unresponsive monitor and random restart? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Old 08-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Unhappy Unresponsive monitor and random restart?

Hey all, I built my first computer in January with the help of the pros here and I've been loving it ever since. However, I've been having a few minor little hiccups and I'm not sure if I should worry about it much or not right now.

Every so often, say a couple months in between, my monitors will flicker and go on standby while the computer is still on and running just fine (yes, all my sleeping/hibernating settings have been turned off) even the speakers continue to run in the monitors. Sometimes it will go back to working regularly after a bit of flickering and other times I may have to manually restart the system to get the monitors to run again. Just today, it did this strange flickering and did not turn back on, in which I had to restart the system, and a few hours later my computer spontaneously restarted itself. Could I possibly have a failing part? Everything I bought was brand new, save for maybe my PSU which was described as only been taken out to benchmark and then re-sold- everything did look pretty mint condition when I got it. My monitors are also both pretty old if they have anything to do with it. I have about 3 fans in my very spacious case which is free of messy wiring due to routing them all in the back panel so I don't believe it's an overheating issue, though I have a feeling it may be GPU related...this also happened about an hour or so after I had just dusted the inside of my computer.

Thanks for looking!!

Edit 1: After downloading HWMonitor, it appears the inside of my computer is about 100 F. If this is too hot, what fans or cooling systems do you recommend?

dahlia13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Resident Nightowl
Default Re: Unresponsive monitor and random restart?

100 F is fine i think.
mine gets to 111 F when under stress. 91 F right now as i am typing.

I am guessing it's your GPU too if restarting the computer fixed the problem.

you could try re-installing your video card drivers first. and make sure the video cable connecting to the monitors are firm in place. could also try a different cable, it's super rare but cables do go bad.
what were you doing when these flickering episodes happened by the way?
Fat.Clown is offline   Reply With Quote