Unreadable 3 TB WD Caviar Green Internal HDD

Do you think that PCI File Recovery would work as well as Recuva? They seem similar, except that Recuva has tiered service.

WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics finally completed after 16:14:59 to scan my 3 TB HDD (my system went into hibernation about 3 hours from the end, but the scan restarted from where it left off automatically and w/o issue when I woke my computer). It found bad sectors that may be repairable. However, it warned me that repairing those sectors may result in the loss of the data they contain. It recommended that I back up my hard drive before repairing the sectors.

PC File Inspector cannot see any of my drives; not even the good drives.

Recuva sees my 3 TB partition, with a drive letter, but says it is not a valid drive (or partition, I forget which).

I tried to download Recuva from FileHippo, but found myself at Piriform. The page to download Recuva presented a blurb for MagicCute Data Recovery, which I'm running, now. MagicCute sees my 3 TB drive and is "Deep Scanning" it in an attempt to restore the partition. It has a message that this may take more than 3 hours. I will keep you updated. I hope that restoring the partition does not damage the data on it!

I was under the impression that only a pc with a UEFI bios could see the entire 3tb drive without the add-on card provided by the manufacture

I was under the impression that only a pc with a UEFI bios could see the entire 3tb drive without the add-on card provided by the manufacture

Dun-dun-dun! I *have* the secret weapon! I have a Herkimer Battle Jitney!

I'm surprised to find that my profile doesn't have a space for describing my equipment. Oh, well.

I am a pack rat and a long-time computer tech. I have a dozen old, generally broken computers and a few that are functional. I assembled my most recent computer last year. This is the computer with the defective 3 TB internal HDD.

MB: Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5
CPU: AMD Phenom II (unlocked) x4 B60 3.30 GHz (currently running on 2 cores, so unlocking didn't get me anything)
RAM: 2 x 4 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
PS: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W
HDD: Several, total of 5 TB internal storage

MagicCute ran for 7 hours and produced a directory hierarchy with NTFS folder at the top, then RAW files folder, then folders containing various files. It is able to see and display some of my photos on the drive. However, it apparently needs to run another scan, this time for an estimated 36 hours. As this is not a registered copy of the program, I can only scan and preview files.

I left WD Data Lifeguard open during this whole test. When I saw that MagicCute wants 36 more hours to run, I told Lifeguard to continue with repairing the bad sectors. It completed in a few minutes, but then said, "Error detected while repairing bad sectors. Please contact WD technical support for help." Windows is still unable to access the drive, though it still shows the drive letter in Windows Explorer.

Don't go repairing sectors... None of the recovery software is meant to repair your drive. It is meant to recover possible data, and store it on ANOTHER drive with in that system.

Run Recuva as it wants, get another drive, back the data upto that other drive as it is found. If this is really priceless data, even if you have to purchase a license for software (though someone mentioned recuva being free) then it would be worth it.

Recuva refuses to touch the drive. It says the drive is not valid. It will not run anything on the drive.

When I tell Recuva to look at my 3 TB drive, the Recuva pop-up box says,

Location is not available
S:\ is not accessible.
The parameter is incorrect.

Back
Top Bottom