unmountable boot volume: NOTHING IS WORKING TO FIX IT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SacredSnowman

Beta member
Hey guys, thanks for reading. I'm having a serious problem with my laptop and I've tried almost everything to get it fixed and nothing seems to be working!

I have Windows XP Home Edition. Whenever I turn it on, I first get a screen saying Windows could not start sucesfully. When I click any of the options, it loads a blue screen saying error:UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME and it won't start up!

I've read other forums, and I think the general consensus is that my boot.ini file is corrupted (or something along those lines).

These are all the things I tried already:

I WENT INTO RECOVERY CONSOLE USING XP BOOT DISK AND:

- typed in chkdsk with all the /r /p /f...none of them do anything since it says I'm missing a file called AUTOCHK.exe. It said type in the file path, so I typed in exactly where it was supposed to be, and it says it can't be found.

- tried re-writing or making a new boot sector, and it says it worked in the prompt, but in reality it did absolutely nothing.

- then i tried typing in C:/dir and it says "An error occured during directory enumeration." HUH?!?!? This made me think my hard drive was wiped, so i tried typing in commands along these lines to try to change the default registry:

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system

copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software

copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam

copy c:\windows\repair\security
c:\windows\system32\config\security

copy c:\windows\repair\default
c:\windows\system32\config\default

...and every single one of them came back with ACCESS DENIED! It seems like everything I could possibly try to do isn't working?!

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!! ungh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom