Unknown Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanjo

In Runtime
Hi,

I've been having a problem installing programs lately. I built a new PC and have been using it fine until recently, almost anything that is on a disc or from a disc image won't install. For example I've been trying to install a game, when the installer says that a file is corrupt on the disc. I then make an ISO image of the disc and it still has the errors. I borrowed a friend's disc and it gives the same error, I copy the files to my HDD and run it from there and get the error. I've tried this with other games too and it either doesn't install due to file corruption errors, or when the game trys to update it says there is a file that isn't exactly as it should be. I even had a backup ISO image from my old PC that ran fine, and on the new one it keeps thinking the files are corrupt!
I've run the Windows Vista memory test on my RAM, with no errors, I ran the SeaTools diagnostic on my hard drives and no errors. I've tried using both Vista and XP and they both do the same thing. I'm convinced its a hardware problem, because I still get the error after loading the fail safe settings in BIOS and then reinstalling Windows, and different copies of the disc/ISO will have an error in the same place.
Does anyone know how to fix this or what the problem is?
Thank you in advance.

I've tried a different DVD, not an actual drive though...I thought it would be something else seeing as ISO images don't work either, but I'll give it a try anyway.
Edit: I'll have to try the DVD drive a bit later, my old one isn't working that great. Any other ideas? I can't see my DVD drive affecting an ISO image that is being emulated that used to work.

Check the windows installer, in fact go ahead and reinstall it. The Windows Installer is the program responsible for installing and removing stuff from your computer. If you can't install programs correctly, chances are it's been corrupt (which will cause it to give an error saying whatever you're trying to install will be corrupt)

Hi S0ULphIRE

I've reinstalled XP and Vista a few times...I couldn't get it working on either (which have different versions of windows installer), even after downloading the 3.1 v2 installer for XP. I have plenty of things that do install correctly, but the multiGB ones that are on/from discs fail.

Try defragging your hdd, if it's really badly fragmented it could be causing those errors. Just standard troubleshooting procedures. Also, have you installed any new programs recently?

Hi S0ULphIRE

I tried defragmenting both my hard drives and I still can't get the things to work. I tried running this off a clean install of Windows XP and Vista, the only software installed would have been the drivers and Alcohol 52% for the ISOs. Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom