Unknown hard drive and optical drives in bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

vjm2122

Baseband Member
I have a dell dimension 4600. When I boot it beeps twice and on the screen is this:

SATA Primary drive 0 not found
Secondary drive 0 not found
Secondary drive 1 not found

Strike the f1 key to continue F2 to run the setup utility

so I go into setup and under device configuration:
Sata Primary Drive ........................Unknown Device
Sata Secondary Drive.................... OFF
Primary Master drive..................... OFF
Primary Slave drive....................... OFF
Secondary Master Drive............... Unknown Device
Secondary Slave Drive.................. Unknown Device

IDE Drive UDMA................................ ON

It doesnt seem like the sata hard drive is powering on because I dont hear it at all I have a power converter cable converting the power from the normal ide pin to the sata power I dont know if that has something to do with it or not. I had to replace the power supply because it died but I didnt get one with the sata connections by accident and I had a converter so I used that instead. The cd drive and burner drive both power on but are not recognized.

Any help would be appreciated.

Yes the drive should be powering on or it will not be recognised.
Check all the connections and use a differant one iff possible.

the ide drives have power and are not recognized any idea on that? what i posted was what was in the startup and in the bios.

I have tried to reset the bios but it passes right through the floppy drive on boot.

I have changed it so the floppy is the first boot device but
it won't recognise it.

I will give it another shot tonight and let you know what happens.

If you can't get the motherboard to recognize even a floppy drive, something is definately wrong here. Make sure you have all the cables connected correctly, and that the jumpers are set correctly. Try using only ONE HDD and the one floppy, first. Don't make the issue more complicated by trying to get all the drives to work at the same time.

Also, make sure you have your IDE cables in correctly, so that pin-1 is matched to the right side of the cable. I know the cable connectors are keyed, but I have learned in recent years that "idiot proof" is an oxymoron.

Reset CMOS. Check all cables. Check jumpers on IDE devices if applicable.
(1 master + 1 slave per IDE cable, or set both to CS (Cable Select) or if you only have 1 IDE device on the cable, set it to Master)

I do understand how all the cables and jumper setting need to go I build computers as a side job. I have a feeling that the machine must have gotten a power surge in a storm because so far I changed the power supply because it was dead and the sata hard drive is also dead.

I am going to try to just hook up a single new IDE hard drive and see if it can be recognized in the bios and then start connecting things back slow.

I have a feeling everything got zapped and the computer is worthless now since it is out of warrenty from dell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom