Unknown Crashing Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baez

Admin / Dev
Staff member
I built a computer for a client around a month ago and ever since he first got it it crashes at completely random points. I've checked the event log but XP doesn't even recognize that it's crashed. He's a photographer so he does a ton of CaptureOne/Photoshop and he said usually he can't go more than 20 minutes without it rebooting. I really don't want to go out and buy a whole new comp. I've run all the obvious tests like MemTest, SeaTools (they're all seagate drives) and stability tests.

I believe these are the specs if I remember correctly:

CPU: Core 2 E4600 2.4GHz @ Stock
Mobo: Asus P5N-D 750i
RAM: 4 x 1GB OCZ Gold 800MHz @ Stock
Video: 2 x BFG 8400GS Non-SLI
PSU: ThermalTake TruePower 500W
HD: 1 x 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
HD: 3 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Striped (RAID 0)

Since there are no events being recorded of it crashing I was thinking it might be a faulty PSU. What do you guys think?

CVB,

I would start with the SPU. But i would also look into something like the OS. Did you isntall a 32 Bit OS with 4GB of RAM? That is known to cause conflicts. Also does a minidump file get generated?

Cheers,
Mak

No I set it to dump to a folder I made in his documents but nothing is ever there.

It is the 32 Bit version but I never knew that would cause any problems like that. I'll get a new PSU and start from there.

Thanks Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom