Unique and extremely annoying problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Unique and extremely annoying problem

Hey guys, so i've encountered this very unique crash a few times this week, and i'm not sure whats caused it, or how to fix it. Although i suspect it could be a lack of RAM.
Anyway, it occurs most often when i play a game called League of Legends. Its a resource hog, using 800mb of ram, and i tend to play with a movie running or some music playing, and often with firefox open as well, which i understand uses a ton of resources. The crash doesn't happen with any specific event, i assume its random, but what will happen is the audio and video starts getting choppy and laggy, and will freeze completely for a short while. Then the sound will resume (i hear my music or movie again) but the video remains frozen and the laptop unresponsive. It requires a restart and will run fine until a similar crash occurs.

Recently there's been a variant to the aforementioned crash, and its prompted me to post here. It's a similar issue where the same audio and video crash occurs, but the video eventually becomes unfrozen and is accompanied with a beeping sound from any mouse input, and with mouse response being very delayed. I can alt+tab and Ctrl+Alt+Del, but i can't use the mouse or keyboard to select anything. Restarts are required again, and like before, the system runs perfectly fine until a similar crash.

I've left the system in both these states overnight with no recovery, and well yeah thats pretty much it...My system is:
Dell XPS15 L502x
i5-2410M CPU
Nvidia 540m GPU
4Gigs of RAM
500Gig HDD (about half full)
a Razer Orochi mouse if that's significant in any way...

So any insight and solutions would be greatly appreciated. I suspect its a lack of ram, but i'd thought the system would recover after a while if that were the case.
Thanks in advance.
Closed Thread