Unexplainable pc issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's Dell for you! :p They set them as AHCI/Sata for Intel boards while Intel recommends setting them up for Sata/Raid mode for maximum flexibility rather then seeing modes switched after the OS is installed.

Encountered new BSOD while downloading something:

BAD_POOL_HEADER

0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0x8056Ab, 0x8056B260, 0x0AEBC708)

I wanted to post my dump files for analysis... how do I do that and where is the best place to put them? I would read them myself, but I can't open them. I need to zip them first, correct?

I think my best bet is to reformat my HDD, and reinstall windows. I think I have no choice. Obviously there is some bad software somewhere.

When you posted the latest BSOD information I tracked that down to the page seen there with "The BAD_POOL_HEADER bug check has a value of 0x00000019. This indicates that a pool header is corrupt." seen under the heading there.

Note that the value of 0x00000019 is right at the start of the sequence of numbers placing it under one type of catagory at MS being a reference code. The numbers enclosed in the ( and ) point at more specific memory addresses.

The 0x00000020 is seen inside the brackets while the 0x00000019 is seen outside indicating the catagory. All the codes seen on the page there refer to something being corrupted on the drive itself.

That would explain why something is trying to load into a system protected memory address ending up with a BSOD typical of a corrupted device driver or even bad ram. But you already ruled any memory faults being seen with memtest suggesting some system files or volume information was lost somehow.

superdave1984 may have a good idea to look at there as well. See what the bios is set to as far as AHCI or sata/Raid modes are concerned. The problem on an older system especially if that is still the original factory install is that too many unknowns can be seen.

The hard drive itself may now be seeing bad sectors or some simple problem on the board like a weak battery could be the reason all types of odd errors are coming up. Still have the original battery on the board? Still running the original copy of Windows probably seeing a ton of invalid entries in the system registry? Those are things to look at as well in order to narrow things down even further.

That would explain why something is trying to load into a system protected memory address ending up with a BSOD typical of a corrupted device driver or even bad ram. But you already ruled any memory faults being seen with memtest suggesting some system files or volume information was lost somehow.

How can I find out if that is the case?

superdave1984 may have a good idea to look at there as well. See what the bios is set to as far as AHCI or sata/Raid modes are concerned. The problem on an older system especially if that is still the original factory install is that too many unknowns can be seen.

No AHCI setting in the BIOS to look at... there are some like CAS, TRCD, TRP and TRAS which I am confused about though. As far as SATA/Raid... there is only one SATA device and I can't mess with how it is set-up, no RAID.

The hard drive itself may now be seeing bad sectors or some simple problem on the board like a weak battery could be the reason all types of odd errors are coming up. Still have the original battery on the board? Still running the original copy of Windows probably seeing a ton of invalid entries in the system registry? Those are things to look at as well in order to narrow things down even further.

I've replaced the battery, the windows is SP3 that I bought at Fry's, so it isn't exactly a standard OEM windows version. In fact, nothing is OEM.

I haven't got the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL since I got rid of fwcore.sys, but now I'm getting various POOL errors, whatever that is, whenever I play certain games or go to certain sites. I got BAD_POOL_CALLER not to long ago. What is a pool anyway? What does it do?

I think my best bet is a full reinstall of windows and a reformat of my HDD. Microsoft is being utterly unhelpful, none of their solutions work and they want money for me to even send them an email(crooks) asking to help. Those mindumps are the key to finding the problem but reading them seems to be impossible.

But I do have a question: In my BIOS, I have a settign for DRAM/FSB ratio. the options are AUTO, 1:1.00, 1:1.33 and 1:1.67. I have it set on Auto, and my timing is locked at 4-4-4-12. When I put it on 1:1.00(which is what I've heard is typically best) the timings are like 4-4-9-15 I think... should I have it on this setting or AUTO? Don't know if that's the problem, I think its a bad driver or something, just thought I'd ask.

How can I find out if that is the case?

The memory dumps, event viewer are the two main sources of information as well as the details tab once the option to report error to MS appears. That will get technical in terminology there however.

No AHCI setting in the BIOS to look at... there are some like CAS, TRCD, TRP and TRAS which I am confused about though. As far as SATA/Raid... there is only one SATA device and I can't mess with how it is set-up, no RAID.

The CAS, TRCD, TRP, TRAS are all for dram timings. If you install new memory but it is reported as being 667 instead of 800 for example you would then change those to 4-4-4-12 or whatever you are supposed to be seeing.

Not all boards now will see a long list of options for manual settings like you would on older boards. As far as the sata/raid mode if it isn't broke leave that alone then since that part is working.

I've replaced the battery, the windows is SP3 that I bought at Fry's, so it isn't exactly a standard OEM windows version. In fact, nothing is OEM.

I haven't got the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL since I got rid of fwcore.sys, but now I'm getting various POOL errors, whatever that is, whenever I play certain games or go to certain sites. I got BAD_POOL_CALLER not to long ago. What is a pool anyway? What does it do?

I think my best bet is a full reinstall of windows and a reformat of my HDD. Microsoft is being utterly unhelpful, none of their solutions work and they want money for me to even send them an email(crooks) asking to help. Those mindumps are the key to finding the problem but reading them seems to be impossible.

But I do have a question: In my BIOS, I have a settign for DRAM/FSB ratio. the options are AUTO, 1:1.00, 1:1.33 and 1:1.67. I have it set on Auto, and my timing is locked at 4-4-4-12. When I put it on 1:1.00(which is what I've heard is typically best) the timings are like 4-4-9-15 I think... should I have it on this setting or AUTO? Don't know if that's the problem, I think its a bad driver or something, just thought I'd ask.

If you are playing around with the dram timings and other things you should try loading the optimized defaults going back to the basics to see if any changes you made are the cause. The 4-4-4-12 is where you want to see that for memory that sees the 4-4-4-12 timings. If the settings are way off then everything seen would point at bad ram since the memory isn't operating the way it should be.

I was wrong about the timings... on 1:1 its 5-5-5-15, not 4-4-9-15. But I'll just leave that alone. 4-4-4-12 seems to be the best.

Btw, things seem to be working better now... I cleaned out some un-needed files, including Nero, which turned out to be infected by a worm, and I haven't gotten a BSOD since...

Streams are working, and games seem to be working now too... so I don't know... maybe I fixed it.

I think I'm going to take a software class so I can understand this stuff better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom