unbearable noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainstushar

Baseband Member
whenever my hd access any data, my hd makes noise, not just little, but it seems like its going to break right now.

i got HDD health, told me that i have power-on hours enabled, i have soft-read errors. what shold i do, how can i turn off power-on hours?

does it sound like a clicking or scratching ?
If it does, backup all you data and hope. I had a hard driver die on me once under Win 98. It sounded like grinding. I was lucky, I got into safe mode and did a backup (I had never done a backup before). Lesson I learn was to backup your data regurally. Even if isn't clicking or scratching especially backup to be on the safe side when your hard drive doesn't sound good. I think I've said backup enough now.

thx but i think it clicks, this noise was same as when i bought my new computer. so does it mean that they sold me a bad HD?

So, let me get this straight.....You bought this computer new and it made the "clicking" noise from the get go????? All drives make a little bit of "noise". Unbearable because it make a little bit of noise or is the clicking sound really loud? Is the dirve loose in the case? Who is the manufacturer and do you have a second dirve installed. If not, buy one ASAP and back up your data!!!!!! If your drive is really noisey........save your data before it becomes a frisbee....and that might happen soon!

yes, when i bought my computer, it was making that noise. One important thing that can help you to solve my problem: when i formatted my HD and reinstalled OS, i had more than 50 GB of free space, it made no noise, but when i fill up my HD, like i only have 30GB left, the noise increases, so if i have less space, i have more noise, and yes it is loud. like playing a dvd movie, when it makes noise, i can't listen to my dvd. so i htink that gives pretty good example of how loud the noise is. i dont have any rubber case around my HD, do you think that may increase noise.

Thx for ur help, i have backed up my data. but please tell me how to solve if anyone knows, b/c i don't wanna buy a new HD.

Rubber case? Is this a laptop? The fact that the increase amount of data on the HD and the noice increases suggests that the HD may be heavily fragmented. Defragment the drive. The noise increases as the drives scan arms are jumping madly about the drive looking for file fragments. And that is way loud!! Get you puter to the DOS command promt (virtual in XP) go to the root C: do this C:chkdsk /r. Tell me what happens after you run check disk.

sounds like a head knock. Crashing is imminent, back up now like Rico said. My thinking is its the read/write head going past the HDD parameters and knocking, eventualy it will stick there and the hard drive will no longer useable by normal means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom