Unable to see any POST/BIOS screens until Windows boots...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman0023

Beta member
I have a AMD 64x2 3800 with a Nvidia 7600 GPU and 22" Chimei monitor. A couple days ago I was dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 7. Suddenly without any configuration change that I'm aware of my driver got corrupted and I was constantly in a safe mode within Linux. Then after another restart I was unable to even see the POST/BIOS and GRUB screens on my monitor. However, I'm lucky enough to have a Samsung HDTV that I plugged into my PC that WOULD show all the boot screens.

To skip ahead a little bit, I was unsuccessful with removing/purging and reinstalling the graphic drivers and eventually just deleted my Linux partition and restored the Windows boot loader. When I boot the PC with it plugged into my TV everything is normal. I see the POST screen and all that. I see Windows load into a high resolution state.

However, when I have my 22" monitor plugged in I see nothing until Windows 7 is loaded and asking for a username/password. That's when the monitor appears to come out of a "sleep" state (in other words, it starts to receive a signal). It boots into a relatively low (max) resolution of 1024x720. Also, if I boot it with my TV plugged in and change displays afterwards I can reach up to 1600x1200 resolution on my monitor.

I'm stumped as to what the problem could be. It can't be a software problem because my TV seems to display everything fine. It seems to be more of a hardware problem, but why can I only see Windows with my monitor (recall that I could not see Linux even after it booted to the login screen)? And why does everything look fine when I change displays from my TV to monitor? Could it be my DVI cable (GPU -> monitor)? Could it straight out be a faulty monitor? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

The system is seeing your TV as the primary monitor. If you are using HDMI for both connections, switch the one from the TV to the monitor and vice versa. This should then show the data on the Monitor not the TV.

Try switching the ports they use on the Video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom