Unable To Read Recordable Disk - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 01:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Unable To Read Recordable Disk

Hi,

I have the HP dvd740 burner. When I put recordable HP blank DVD/CD's in the drive, it does not read it as a blank disk. When I put a movie DVD in the drive, it reads it just fine. This is why I am confused. I am unable to burn anything at all. I have Wndows XP and have looked everywhere on this forum and the internet and am unable to find out why this is happening. I have used the same recordable media dvd/cd's in my friends computer and it works fine, so I know it's not that. When I right click on the HP drive, select properties, and go to the General Tab where it shows you the recordable disk information, it just shoes o bytes all the way across the board.

Somebody please help me. I have had this problem way too long and have tried troubleshooting everything I could. Basically, Windows XP is not reading the recordable disk. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Nero drivers many times with no luck. Thanks!

Old 12-27-2006, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Unable To Read Recordable Disk

Quote:
Originally posted by Volcom
Hi,

I have the HP dvd740 burner. When I put recordable HP blank DVD/CD's in the drive, it does not read it as a blank disk. When I put a movie DVD in the drive, it reads it just fine. This is why I am confused. I am unable to burn anything at all. I have Wndows XP and have looked everywhere on this forum and the internet and am unable to find out why this is happening. I have used the same recordable media dvd/cd's in my friends computer and it works fine, so I know it's not that. When I right click on the HP drive, select properties, and go to the General Tab where it shows you the recordable disk information, it just shoes o bytes all the way across the board.

Somebody please help me. I have had this problem way too long and have tried troubleshooting everything I could. Basically, Windows XP is not reading the recordable disk. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Nero drivers many times with no luck. Thanks!
hmm have you checked HP's site to see if there is a firmware upgrade for the drive ?

sometimes that helps
other then that , I am not sure at this moment. (a bit tired right now LOL)

Old 12-27-2006, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Drive is probably toast....Newegg yourself a new one and give yorself a break. They are dirt cheap!!

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Ca...-Burners-Media
Old 12-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The drive is not toast and I don't need a new one. I already exchanged the drives as I thought that was the problem at first, it wasn't. Same thing is happening. I also had the same problem when I had a CD/RW Samsung drive. So it has to do something with my computer, but I don't know what it is.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default same problem

I am having the same problem with my Samsung TS-H552U drive. Did you ever find a fix? Mine will read blank cd's however just not blank dvd's.
Closed Thread