Unable to boot from USB - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Unable to boot from USB

Hello! (My first post here

Yesterday I got my new Lenovo Z500 with no OS installed. So here comes the problem, this model is highly suited to work with Windows 8, assuming its default setting in BIOS for "optimized Windows 8 settings" - it's changeable of corse. Also the device supports UEFI, further more, it prefers it, but legacy setting are also available in the BIOS menu. The problem is I can't see my pen drive in the boot options at all! I tried booting nearly everything: Ubuntu 12.04, some netbook edition too, Windows 7, Windows 8 (NTFS and FAT32 formatting), tried another pendrive, but same story. Tried every possible combination of BIOS setting (secure boot:disabled!) but the pen drive is not even visible in the boot options. The best thing I got was a blinking led and a black screen. My backup option is burning the image on a DVD media, but my old laptop has no optical drive, so I'll have to ask someone to do me that favour.

If you have any ideas why is this happening and what can I do to make it work, please, be kind and share your knowedge.

Regards,
The Newbie

vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Default Re: Unable to boot from USB

Try setting the bios to legacy, and then in the boot order area in the bios, select usb device as the first device the the boot order

Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I've already tried that -the legacy settings, but the pendrive is still not visible as an option. Tried on another laptop (not UEFI enabled, anyway) - it worked perfectly. :/
Old 07-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

how's the boot order listed in the legacy bios?
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

When it's set to Legacy, the boot order appears first the HDD, then CD/DVD and Network boot; when set to UEFI, it only checks the network, once for IPv4, then IPv6.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pushing Daisies on Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla View Post
When it's set to Legacy, the boot order appears first the HDD, then CD/DVD and Network boot; when set to UEFI, it only checks the network, once for IPv4, then IPv6.
Sometimes the legacy bios considers the usb drive a hard disk drive instead of a removable device. Is there a way to change the "hard drive" priorities?

Yevrag35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Private Joker

Sometimes the USB option doesn't actually show up in the re-order section unless it's plugged in.

Try plugging in the USB to boot off of, and then instead of going through the BIOS, go to the Boot Selection menu (should be another F* key like how you access BIOS).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote