Unable to boot from USB

vanilla

Beta member
Hello! (My first post here ;)

Yesterday I got my new Lenovo Z500 with no OS installed. So here comes the problem, this model is highly suited to work with Windows 8, assuming its default setting in BIOS for "optimized Windows 8 settings" - it's changeable of corse. Also the device supports UEFI, further more, it prefers it, but legacy setting are also available in the BIOS menu. The problem is I can't see my pen drive in the boot options at all! I tried booting nearly everything: Ubuntu 12.04, some netbook edition too, Windows 7, Windows 8 (NTFS and FAT32 formatting), tried another pendrive, but same story. Tried every possible combination of BIOS setting (secure boot:disabled!) but the pen drive is not even visible in the boot options. The best thing I got was a blinking led and a black screen. My backup option is burning the image on a DVD media, but my old laptop has no optical drive, so I'll have to ask someone to do me that favour.

If you have any ideas why is this happening and what can I do to make it work, please, be kind and share your knowedge.

Regards,
The Newbie

Try setting the bios to legacy, and then in the boot order area in the bios, select usb device as the first device the the boot order

I've already tried that -the legacy settings, but the pendrive is still not visible as an option. Tried on another laptop (not UEFI enabled, anyway) - it worked perfectly. :/

When it's set to Legacy, the boot order appears first the HDD, then CD/DVD and Network boot; when set to UEFI, it only checks the network, once for IPv4, then IPv6.

When it's set to Legacy, the boot order appears first the HDD, then CD/DVD and Network boot; when set to UEFI, it only checks the network, once for IPv4, then IPv6.
Sometimes the legacy bios considers the usb drive a hard disk drive instead of a removable device. Is there a way to change the "hard drive" priorities?

Sometimes the USB option doesn't actually show up in the re-order section unless it's plugged in.

Try plugging in the USB to boot off of, and then instead of going through the BIOS, go to the Boot Selection menu (should be another F* key like how you access BIOS).

Back
Top Bottom