Ultra slow Boot procedure - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Ultra slow Boot procedure

Hi all

Just joined today and hope someone can point me in the right direction with a new problem.

Built this system about a year ago and everything ran great till yesterday.

My wife was Googling something and called me to say she'd "lost the mouse (pointer)". Sure enough it was gone and nothing I tried would bring it back.

Did a hard power down and re-started the machine. I let it do a "start windows normally" but it took 20 seconds or so to identify the drives then sat for over a minute at the "Starting Windows". I was afraid it was never going to start but eventually it did and seems to perform perfectly normally. I ran a full system scan with Microsoft's Security Essentials but found nothing.

Powered down normally to try a restart again but still takes several minutes to load up. Have to say it runs perfectly normal once it's up.

Powered down again.

I have a clone of my hard drive and mounted it and tried to boot from that but still same problem. Also tried an older SATA drive that has Vista and a game on it but same results.

I concluded that something has corrupted the BIOS and used a utility from the DVD that came with my motherboard to go to GigaByte's site and update the BIOS. That went OK but had no effect on the load time.

I'm now stumped and searching for some suggestions.

Hope this resonates with someone out there.

Frank

albergman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Ultra slow Boot procedure

FIXED IT!!

Was reading something about reflashing the BIOS by removing the battery. Never heard of that one before. Anyway, tried it and the system rebooted normally.

WOW, what a relief!

Cheers

Frank

Old 11-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by albergman View Post
FIXED IT!!

Was reading something about reflashing the BIOS by removing the battery. Never heard of that one before. Anyway, tried it and the system rebooted normally.

WOW, what a relief!

Cheers

Frank
That's not considered reflashing, it's just resetting or clearing CMOS (BIOS settings).

Reflashing the BIOS would be flashing a new firmware version.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

OK my mistake. Thanks for the remark. I'm just happy to see it fixed.