Ultra ATA/133 card not showing Optical drives in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rastafari

Solid State Member
I got a new computer with an Intel desktop Motherboard D945GCCR that has only 1 IDE "port" and 4 SATA ports. The current hard drive IN THE COMPUTER is a SATA and occupy one of the SATA ports. I also have 2 other hard drives from the old computer - 1 with Win XP pro on it, the other empty. I also have 2 DVD/RW/ROM drives.

I got an Adaptec ASH-1233 ATA PCI adapter with 2 IDE ports so that I can have another IDE port. I do not want to hookup the hard drives through the IDE PCI card since I want to be able to boot up to one of the spare hard drive - the one with the Win XP pro on it so I can continue to use my Palm T3. The system hard drive - the SATA one has Win XP media center on it which does not support Palm OS.

So I put the 2 spare hard drives on the motherboard's IDE port, 1 as master and the other as slave. The 2 DVD/RW/ROMs i set as master and slave on the PCI IDE "primary" slot. The problem is that although the DVD/RW/ROMs show up on the desktop, in hardware and does work, the BIOS says there are no optical drives !! In addition, I cannot boot up from a boot CD placed in the DVD drives.

What is wrong? What am I doing wrong? Is it that the Adaptec ASH-1233 ATA adapter does not recognize SUPPORT optical drives? Are the jumper settings wrong? Should they be cable select like they were in the old computer? Is it that the optical drives have to be attached DIRECTLY to the motherboard for them to show up in the BIOS and allow booting up and not through the Adaptec ASH-1233 ATA adapter?

PLEASE HELP!! :confused:

are you saying you have the opticals on the add on card? if so, the mobo will not see it, as the drives are technically not attached to the mobo

does the manual for the adaptec make mention of any optical boot info?

The optical drives ARE attached to the card,

The manual does mention not give any booting info - it only illustrate installing with hard drives. The Adaptec site does mention CD/ROM and hard drives being attached but again does not provide any booting info other than explaining how one can choose which of 2 (hard) drives for it to allow booting from (Answer ID# 11092 on the Adaptec Support Knowledgebase site).

I am still at a loss in figuring this out.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom