Uh oh - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Send a message via MSN to Oreo
Default Re: Uh oh

NEWSS !!!!

I research on the internet for about an hour on all the possibilities and how to fix them, i was armed and ready for super leet pc fixing skills.

I go in, plug in the pc cables (it was totally unplugged), connect it to the monitor, hit the power button AND THEN.. bios shows up windows boots and we're all good
PC's baffle me sometimes.

Although i going to check it in the morning and see how it is and run Memtest to check things over.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

For future reference, if NOTHING happens when you power on except fans spinning up, no beep code or video signal, then you should ALWAYS try completely resetting the system first. Remove the bios battery, unplug the power, press the power button a few times, put the battery back in, press the power button a few more times, plug the power in.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 09-06-2010, 03:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

I did.. like 5 times. I took everything in and out loads, resetted cmos loads, unplugged and replugged cables in 10 or 20 times and tried 2 monitors.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I was in the same boat at a job once, had a $2300 custom built PC in for a strange issue, exactly as described, I did everything to get her running, we also happened to have had a BAD thunderstorm the night prior, well, I said to **** after trouble shooting for two days and got tired of the boss *****ing at me while trouble shooting.

The reason it took so long, all parts worked, everything should have worked out just fine together, but wouldnt...

A week later another tech comes in after the rig sat waiting for someone to call us back with a go-ahead, and plugs the PC up to the wall, and it turns on...

Can't explain it, but, it ****ed me off, as I got *****ed at even more for not properly performing my job after that, I sat there and looked at her, told her to **** off and do her job and I would do mine, needless to say, soon after my pay was cut, I *****ed, then got fired.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanmx View Post
I did.. like 5 times. I took everything in and out loads, resetted cmos loads, unplugged and replugged cables in 10 or 20 times and tried 2 monitors.
yeah but did you ever completely drain the system? Doing all that isn't guaranteed to do it
ah well, if it breaks again post back up
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 09-06-2010, 03:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

Moving thread to the Troubleshooting sub-forum.

To the op, I hope this was not a fatherday's (.AU) gift to your dad

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!" -- Rob Zombie
Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 09-06-2010, 07:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Checked it this morning and it's still running fine.

Dad even left me 20 as a thankyou, as it saved him 100 as he cancelled his new ram order Maybe i should break his PC more often.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hmmmmmm, I wonder if you tripped the psu....... Thus the "cool down" both your dad and computer, allowed the psu to reset.

Closed Thread