Uh oh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
Oh dear what have i done :(

My dad got a new ATI 4650 for his PC, which i kindly offered to install. Whilst i was installing it, i noticed he didn't have his crucial ballistix ram in duel channel. So i put it in duel channel, start his PC up and it locks up loading windows.

So i was like "oh, odd" rebooted his PC, it turns on, gpu turns on, everything seems fine. No error beeps or anything, but nothing turns up on his monitor. Anyway we spend about an hour testing different things like swapping back to old gpu, resetting cmos etc - but nothing.

He is totally ****ed off right now, especially as he has an exam at work on friday and all his exam material is on his PC.

I feel like it was my fault, i mean it must of been my fault, but all i did was the most mundane swapping of ram slots. I open up my pc every week and change stuff with no problem. I feel SO guilty but on the other hand, fail to how i could of f'd it up so bad :hrmph:

Nope, nothing. Just a monitor with a yellow light saying no signal. I would go and continue working on his PC, but he's mad and told me to **** off and leave his PC alone.. uhm :p

edit:

OH ! i forgot to add a potentially important thing. After dad had left the room and i removed gpu/reset cmos for the first time, it did boot up and did a windows repair. But as i stood up i knocked the table and the screen went blank again and dad walked in. So i thought, oh, it's the cable/monitor then. But then after trying new cables and a different monitor this idea was quickly gone.

Sounds nasty... Though, this needs to be in hardware troubleshooting.

Anyways, go bare as possible, no ram/gpu/hard drive, nothing, just have the CPU in, and power it up, see if you get any beep codes, you get beep codes, throw a stick of ram in, don't get codes, then stop, bad stick or slot, try another stick/slot, no codes again, then either all ram is bad, or your memory controller was fried.

If you DO get beep codes, throw the GPU in, and hook up your monitor, and see what happens, nothing, not even a beep, you have a bad GPU.

ALSO, gently clean the contacts on the ram and gpu with some rubbing alcohol, I have had times where the gold plating would I guess, tarnish, and wouldn't properly conduct electricity anymore.

Well, he's had a shower and seems to of calmed down now. Just asked me to download his work material for his laptop.

the thread wasn't actually meant to be a hardware help thread, just an "oh crap wadda i do" thread :p

Try some different ram, ballistix are notorious for completely dying without any warning. I had two sets do it to me before I gave up on rmaing them and just tossed them.

I just feel like it was my fault, which sucks big style. The worst thing is he wont let me contribute money towards some new ram, so i can't even relieve my guilt :p

Anyhow, he's just ordering 4gig of cheep ddr3.

double check to see if the RAM is fully seated, sometimes it may seem like its seated... but its not.

just saying :p

happened to me couple of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom