ugly data loss problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2007, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Post ugly data loss problem

Hi, there guys!
Let's go directly to the problem:
I have problems while copying image files or archives from cds, dvds or network. The problem is that the copied files almost always differ from the originals. Have tried to copy a .nrg image file from a dvd, and right after compared MD5 sums on the two files. Not the same. I have Intel Pentium 4A, 2533 MHz, ECS P4VXASD2+, with chipset VIA VT8753A Apollo, 1024 MB SDRAM, and 2 hard drives 80G Western Digital and 120G Seagate Baracuda, both ATA.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

click admin tools , then event viewer, look in your system logs for errors.

DL memtest86, if you do not have a floppy DL the ISO image and burn to a cd, then boot from the cd.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hi, there. First, I'd like to thank you for your quick reply. Here's what I did:
In my Event viewer, System log I can see 4 cdrom errors "The device, \Device\CdRom2, has a bad block.", and 3 Removable Storage Service errors "RSM cannot manage library PhysicalDrive2. It encountered an unspecified error. This can be caused by a number of problems including, but not limited to, database corruption, failure communicating with the library, or insufficient system resources.", but this should be because windows cannot access a flash drive on my phone, I hope.
The cdrom2, was my virtual dvd, I guess, after I had mounted an image file, as I already have two physical dvd drives.
But I also had the couriosity to check the Application log. There I've seen a lot of errors. "WMI ADAP was unable to load the msdtcui.DLL performance library due to an unknown problem within the library: 0x0", and "The timeout waiting for the performance data collection function "PerfProc" in the "C:\WINNT\system32\perfproc.dll" Library to finish has expired. There may be a problem with this extensible counter or the service it is collecting data from or the system may have been very busy when this call was attempted." which is repeated over 50 times.
Tried Memtest but no errors, so I guess me SDRAM is OK.
No ideas left here...
Closed Thread