ughhh, no POST...i think

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogueSeven

In Runtime
greets

im using an intel DX38BT motherboard

well, in all my genius i was bored and fiddled with the BIOS a little bit, in this case, the memory settings. now i saw something that said it was on 1066 and i know my memory is 1333 so i just changed it to 1333 and did the exit and save, thought if i did anything wrong i could go back into the bios and change it back. well, i cant, the monitor stays blank whenever i start the computer up. i tried using one memory stick at a time and then no memory, nothing worked. anyone know how i could fix this? i couldnt find anything in the product manual relating to this except for the bios things and i dont have a floppy drive anywhere

edit: forgot to mention, when i try to start up the computer it will be on for approximately 5-6 seconds and it turns off for a couple seconds and then turns on. one thing that might be worth noting is that my cd/dvd drives dont turn on at first and then the second time they are on, i cant tell if this is the case with the hard drives also.

regards.

Urrgh! is right! Once you manually change from the automatic settings in the bios without entering the exact Dram timings and speed for the memory installed as well as changing from auto to 1T or 2T depending which is the wrong one it's time to clear the cmos!

"Please remove battery on the board for 30 seconds to see factory defaults restored once the current settings changes have been changed back. thank you for your patience!" Eveybody has done something like this at one time or another. Get used to it! :p

heh, k thanks, yeah i like experimenting however i am trying to keep the mindset of "if it aint broke, dont fix it" but that is hard lol. will tell you if it works

mmk, that didnt work...damnit, still doing the same thing

another thing on the first startup attempt (before it turns off after 5 secs and restarts) there is a tone, beee boo beee boo...lol srry cant xactly make an audio file of it atm...anyways it only does this with one of the sticks of RAM the other doesnt beep but still on for 5 secs, restart, nothing on monitor...

it is a different sound then if i were to have no memory sticks inserted.

When first putting this case together I inadvertently change the 1T/2T/auto to 2T and ran right into the stall. Clearing the cmos following entering the dram timings manually and leaving both the 1-2T-auto and memory speed set to auto should get you going.

When looking at the screenshot here for CPUZ notice which items see each number for the 4-4-4-14 timings you would see in the product information at newegg for the memory used here as well. Once in the advanced section of the bios looking at the cpu item you highlight that and press enter on most board for the advanced timings where the correct numbers for the memory you have are entered.

The alternating or constant beeping usually points at memory if not the cpu in most bioses whether Award, Phoenix, AMI. Without any bad dimm that would sound off with an alarm if one was defective by chance. The boot process would immediately stall.

so should i switch my cpu out? if that works is my cpu fried or just a bios setting messed up?

if my cpu is indeed fried what could have cased it to mess up? =S

switched out the cpu, used a pentiumd that has never been used before, still the same thing

thanks for the help eye, i switched the jumper to "maintenance mode" or w.e that was and then it took me directly to the BIOS and i switched it back to auto :D

You did that before I could reply. I wouldn't have advised simply swapping cpus until you had a definite indicator but at least no harm no foul. The newer boards tend to only see one jumper if any for clearing the cmos which in turn brings up the first screen for time and date in the bios setup.

I was going to ask earlier if you had changed any voltage settings by chance but I see you got everything back running again once set to auto. Keep in mind the need on some newer boards seeing DDR2, DDR3 memory that often the dram timings for a particular set of dimms have to entered manually.

On the board here I actually had to change from auto for the memory speed to select DDR2 800 from the list of speeds. If left at auto the post screen would show DDR2 667 instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom