Two separate Dell issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

IT_N8

In Runtime
I know i could prob get this figured out if i had the time to mess w/ it, but i have two Dells having issues. One i'm trying to reset back to factory settings and when i put in the MS XP OS disk it says it can't re-install the OS b/c i'm on a newer version of windows? It has XP, the only thing i can guess is maybe due to a Service Pack or an update. So trying to wipe the PC clean and take back to original factory settings. The other Dell issue, when i turn it on the screen just blinks black and white and never loads windows? A while back someone recommended changing the internal battery which i did w/ no luck. I'm assuming it may be a shot MB, but not sure how to confirm that? Any help on either issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate

First issue, you will need to boot from the CD to install it, this doesnt put it back to factory settings, it creates a fresh install, unless it's a DVD that has an image on it from the manufacturer.

Second issue, is that a second Dell or the same one?

Its a seperate PC. On the first one i tried to boot from the OS cd that came w/ the desktop and it seems to just go right into windows. I got the PC from my late gma and my mom wants to use it for work so i just wanna try and wipe as much off as i can, is there another route that you would recommend?

Thanks

You need to set the boot order to CD first, then HDD in the BIOS.

Then put the CD in, press any key to install and your off.

You should select "format as NTFS" if you want everything removed and install XP. Do not select "install without making changes to the file system".

Does the second Dell not show anything else? Does it immediately blink?

Okay i just got the first Dell up and goin, the second dell is now just showing the dell load screen then flashes the bios, then goes back to the dell logo screen, this just repeats over and over. Ideas?

Fixed it! the NTDetect file was missing. Copied it off of the OS disk and everything works fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom