Two problems. No signal detected + HDD issues. - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 12:02 AM   #21 (permalink)
Newb Techie

So if it's silent...?

Old 03-08-2006, 12:03 AM   #22 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jayce

We've done some more troubleshooting. I have helped The Scientist on aim extensively and still we cannot come to a conclusion. The Scientist built his computer pretty much off of the specs I have on my computer, except he got the 3700 processor while I got the 3000.

I remember reading that RAM can cause some weird things to happen to computers, so we tried some different configurations with that. What I told him to do was remove 2 sticks, so he had one gig remaining in the computer, and boot it. Nothing happened. Then, he ran a single 512 stick, booted it... nothing happened. Then, we tried once more with a DIFFERENT 512 stick, same deal, nothing happened. So I think it's safe to say that, as unlikely as it was for RAM being the problem, we can cross that off of the list.

Also, since the power supply was changed, it's pretty evident that we can cross that off of the list.

We've tried different combinations of everything I could think of. We've reset the jumpers on the optical drives, ran a single drive, etc. For example, I had him disconnect both drives, and set one aside. With the other drive, setting the jumpers to master, hooking it back up, and seeing if there was a connection made. No go... We did the same thing with the other optical drive, same deal.

So now we're stuck between a rock and a very hard place... I'm all out of ideas, I don't know what could be restricting the optical drives to function properly. When I boot up my computer within 10-15 seconds I'm able to pop them open and/or get a green LED response from the front of them.

And step by step, I've went through and made sure he's wired up everything properly. We're stuck. I just don't know what else it could be. Everytime we think we have it pinpointed, we prove ourselves wrong.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:16 AM   #23 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Edit: heh heh...nevermind we got it.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:35 AM   #24 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Problem solved. Mr The Scientist decided he wanted to skip the part where you plug in the box shaped 4 pin connector from the PSU to the mobo. Works now. aaaahahahah
Old 03-08-2006, 02:26 AM   #25 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Jayce
Problem solved. Mr The Scientist decided he wanted to skip the part where you plug in the box shaped 4 pin connector from the PSU to the mobo. Works now. aaaahahahah
:< Aren't I awesome.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

New problem. It takes an eternity to detect the array.

What the ****?
Old 03-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
Monster Techie

thats not alot of details you know , anyway im not sure your aware of this but your suppost to use the sata driver floppy on the windows setup (you need to click F6 right after it loads) and after about a minute it will ask for it

edit: forgot to mention , if an sata floppy wasnt provided with the motherboard then its likely on the motherboard cd and needs to be copied into a floppy , or alternativly it can be downloaded from the motherboard manufacturer site

Quote:
Originally posted by TheScientist
So if it's silent...?
then thats the way it suppost to be (well unless you didnt connect something right lol) , noise levels vary among diffrent hds and in general hd noise shouldnt be too extreme just very low , anyway i somewhat doubt a 10krpm raptor will be so silent

Quote:
Originally posted by TheScientist
:< Aren't I awesome.
hmm dont think so , you really werent suppost to skip that part
Old 03-08-2006, 01:07 PM   #28 (permalink)
Newb Techie

lol. Okay, there isn't much details because that's all there is but i'll try hooking up a floppy drive and doing that.

Edit: well i just remembered i can't get to the windows setup all of a sudden because it gets stuck at detecting array...
Old 03-08-2006, 02:16 PM   #29 (permalink)
Monster Techie

well unfortunatly i dont have alot of knowledge on raid , check the raid page on the manual
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppor...UID=652&kind=1
also maybe its some bios issue update it if you dont have the latest
if the manual didnt help and the bios either then i suggest youll ask in the offical msi forum http://forum.msi.com.tw/
Old 03-08-2006, 02:20 PM   #30 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well it wasn't doing it before it just started. I reset the bios i'm just gonna hang out and let it go for a bit.

Closed Thread