Two machines different PC's won't boot with GTX 285 fitted - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: Two machines different PC's won't boot with GTX 285 fitted

Gotta freind with a "modern" mobo? try it and then tell him to F off.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Is the computer beeping??? I hate to say it, but if the card is defective the motherboard should be beeping. It sounds like the card isn't fitting into the slot correctly, like the contact fingers are barely making a connection in the slot. The connection is enough for the mobo to know it's there, but not enough to actually power the card up.

Make sure the slot and contact fingers are clean and make sure the weight of the card isn't putting any stress on the slot. And make sure the card is firmly inserted into the slot, you want to hear the slot lock CLICK.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
Is the computer beeping??? I hate to say it, but if the card is defective the motherboard should be beeping. It sounds like the card isn't fitting into the slot correctly, like the contact fingers are barely making a connection in the slot. The connection is enough for the mobo to know it's there, but not enough to actually power the card up.

Make sure the slot and contact fingers are clean and make sure the weight of the card isn't putting any stress on the slot. And make sure the card is firmly inserted into the slot, you want to hear the slot lock CLICK.
No, neither computer Beeps.

Normally both computers make 1 beep sound just as the start of booting up but the system does not even get that far on either of the two machines.

The card was pushed very securely into the PCI-E x16 slots on both machines, the safety tag (the one that's a pain in the backside to unclip) was securely clipping onto the end of the connector, and the card was securely fixed to the case with two screws.

I made sure on both machines that the card was fully seated.

On my Abit Mboard it has a 2 digit LED display that runs through many different hexadecimal numbers during the bootup process

With the GTX-285 installed it went through 2 numbers and just stuck at showing 9.0 ( I think) on the display.

Basically on both machines the exact same thing happens.

Press power, Fans start up inside the case, various LED's inside the case come on, and within 3 seconds (even before a BIOS beep) it's all frozen, nothing happens. No display on screens, nothing.

If it was on one machine then I'd guess it may be just a clash, but it's on both machine that use different brand Mboards which themselves use different chipsets.

The Abit AB9 uses an "Intel P965 / ICH8R" chipset and has "1x PCI-E X16 slot"

The ASUS p5b-vm (which I did not want to put the card in, but tested anyway) uses a "Intel G956 Express Chipset" and also has a PCI Express x16 slot

I have just looked at the BFG website here: BFG Tech - BFG NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 OC2 1GB PCIe 2.0

And they quote the following:

BFG NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 OCX 1GB PCIe 2.0

PCI Express® 2.0 Support
Designed for the new PCI Express 2.0 bus architecture offering the highest data transfer speeds for the most bandwidth-hungry games and 3D applications, while maintaining backwards compatibility with existing PCI Express motherboards for the broadest support.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Private Joker

Look up the manual for your Abit board, and find out what that POST code means.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 07-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

If it stops two computers booting up then there must be something wrong with the card. The seller is probably just using delaying tactics by telling you to get a new motherboard.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 07-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Private Joker

^^^That's what I'm thinking as well, but if that POST code says its something bad with the GPU, then OP can use that to back up his statement that the card is bad.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 07-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
^^^That's what I'm thinking as well, but if that POST code says its something bad with the GPU, then OP can use that to back up his statement that the card is bad.
Re the POST code.

My Abit does have a 2 digit LED display that shows hexadecimal codes during the boot-up sequence to help you diagnose faults.

When 1st turned on the display shows 9.9

when turned on (and the 285 installed) it shows 2 different numbers almost too fast to see what they are and stops at 9.0

Which apparently means:

Complete µGuru initial processAWARD BIOS take over booting job

I have checked and my BIOS is the latest one (July 2007)

======= EDIT========

I guess I do need to ask.

How much power do you think the GTX-285 needs to actually boot up.

For the record, my Corsair HX520w modular power supply was powering ONLY the following items (after I disconnected all I could do:

Intel Q6700 with a fan on it
Abit AB9 Motherboard
640GB Samsung Spinpoint HDD
2 sticks of 1.8v DDR2 memory

And of course the GTX-285 itself.

I had disconnected my two CD-ROM Drives, my 2 case fans , my PCI sound card and my other 2 sticks of memory.

Is there any way a quality 520w supply could not supply enough power to bootup a system with the things I had still attached?
Old 07-04-2010, 05:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
I know you know that, my post was directed at the OP I should have quoted it in my post, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie View Post
Re the POST code.

My Abit does have a 2 digit LED display that shows hexadecimal codes during the boot-up sequence to help you diagnose faults.

When 1st turned on the display shows 9.9

when turned on (and the 285 installed) it shows 2 different numbers almost too fast to see what they are and stops at 9.0

Which apparently means:

Complete µGuru initial processAWARD BIOS take over booting job

I have checked and my BIOS is the latest one (July 2007)

======= EDIT========

I guess I do need to ask.

How much power do you think the GTX-285 needs to actually boot up.

For the record, my Corsair HX520w modular power supply was powering ONLY the following items (after I disconnected all I could do:

Intel Q6700 with a fan on it
Abit AB9 Motherboard
640GB Samsung Spinpoint HDD
2 sticks of 1.8v DDR2 memory

And of course the GTX-285 itself.

I had disconnected my two CD-ROM Drives, my 2 case fans , my PCI sound card and my other 2 sticks of memory.

Is there any way a quality 520w supply could not supply enough power to bootup a system with the things I had still attached?
Carnage has a very similar computer to yours and his is fine...

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 07-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
Lord Techie

That card could be frying the boards.....

Can you take the HDD out, use only one stick of ram, and your old graphics card to see if it will atleast start up? If not, then chances are, that card is frying computers.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rr0sive View Post
That card could be frying the boards.....

Can you take the HDD out, use only one stick of ram, and your old graphics card to see if it will atleast start up? If not, then chances are, that card is frying computers.
Ummmm, I think you have misunderstood.

Both computers work fine still.

The GTX 285 is not frying anything.

They just won't boot up or do anything with the 285 installed.

Remove the 285 and fit my 8800 cards back in and they still work perfectly ok.

Closed Thread