two hdd's

Status
Not open for further replies.

weside23

Solid State Member
i got 2 hdd's and i'd like to take my C: drive and copy it to the other (my W: drive). waht i'd like to do if possible is clone it, so i can put the W: hdd into another computer and make the computer work. that computer works fine it just doesn't have a good hdd anymore, i think it will hook up to my other hdd but anyway. so can it be done? if not can i back up the C: drive of this computer on to the W: drive?

You can take the contents of C:\ to W:\ by simply opening My Computer, right clicking C:\, copy, open W:\, right click, paste.
As to your question about being able to take W:\ with the copied contents and use it as a boot drive in another computer, that will not work. There are a myriad of reasons, but the simplest of which is that your hard drive houses all of your hardware drivers.
The only way to get your other computer to work is if you have the operating system disc for it, you're willing to try a free operating system like Linux, or you're willing to purchase a copy of Windows.

ok i'm cheap and don't even have blank cds, can i get a free os and downloaded it to a cd and boot it to ti. the computer hdd is fine it had a problem and i fromated it and it's wiped cleaned. i don't want vista and can't afford windows 7 it's 2005 and not 64bit capatabel i tried to w/ vista and it didn't work because it only 32 bit unless there a way i can?i like xp but it's kinda hard to find and stilla little expensive. btw can i make a back up on the W: drive for the C: drive. i tried the copy paste thing and it stoped it and said can't because somethings running.

you certainly can. both on the cloning and otherwise. you may also consider using a livecd or usb distribution of a OS (slax.org,wolf etc) which you wont even need the HDD at all (thus insuring you can do whatever you want to the HDD from the outside.)
Be careful you read and understand what you are doing however. I have known of countless people who have jumped into cloning/copying/etc their Hard drives and have messed them up, wiped their data, caused themselves all sorts of headaches. none of it is hard mind you, but just going gung hoe on such things isn't the wisest imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom