Turning CPU on w/out Heatsink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuRpLeSmUrF

In Runtime
Will it hurt the cpu if I boot it to windows without the heatsink thermal pasted to it? Im not going to keep it running just want to see if it will boot to windows.

It can run but it might be short-lived and may cut out, as the CPU will get hotter faster than it would if the heatsink has some paste.

Horrible idea.

There is no reason to do this, unless you want to run the chance of burning out your CPU. Most BIOS will cut the power if the heat of the CPU gets above a certain range, but why chance that not working?

The CPU will overheat probably within a minute and will cause the computer to restart.

Well you could if you really wanted to. But the chip wont work for long after you boot it. It will get so hot so fast and probably destroy the chip.

I will just order some paste off newegg and wait then. I hope I haven't already hurt the chip because when I was taking the heatsink off the thermal paste acted as a glue and pull the chip out with it. None of the pins are bent or anything though

Do you have any local computer stores? I pickup thermal paste at a local store (not worst buy) for like 5 bucks. Sure the paste will be cheaper online but you'll spend a total of like 9 with shipping, and you have to wait 5 days...

Yeah, but I am ordering some other stuff off newegg anyways. So that will save me a trip into town and I don't guess it will hurt me to wait a few days :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom