Trying to trouble shoot a Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

saidblade

Beta member
I have a laptop that when it boots it goes to the XP load screen for about 2 seconds and then a blue screen of love.

I ran a linux boot disk to try to trouble shoot it but we couldn't get it to see the drive.

I bought a sata 2.5 drive enclosure and hooked it up to my other computer with the laptop drive in it and it can't see it. The drive gets warm but thats all.

I pulled my other laptop drive out and put it into the drive enclosure and it worked fine.

What can I do?
What options do I have to see if this is still a good drive?
Does this mean the drive is dead?
Do I need to load drivers?
Can I force mount it?

Any thoughts???

WD 2.5 sata drive 60gig. Compact laptop. About two years old.

The best advice I can give you is to reformat the BSOD hard drive via the Windows install disk and find out if that fixes your issue. There is a small chance the hard drive is ok, as the deterioration of the past Windows installation may have rendered it inaccessible for any strange reason. Also, Linux may not have seen the hard drive if it was formatted in NTFS format.

In all honesty, it sounds as if the hard drive is on the dying edge, but if I were you I would attempt to reformat the hard drive at least, and see what happens. Given that it still gives your problems, you can probably draw the conclusion that the hard drive is about to go.

Hope that helps,

-Chase-

Hello,

If the drive can not be recognized by a LiveCD or by another PC via a enclosure, then trying to format it with a Windows Install will get you no where and fast. It wont recognize the drive to even get as far as the format option. ;)

If you can not recognize the drive via a LiveCD, Enclosure or hooking it up to another PC then you dont ahve many options. The drive is more than likely dead. You have done basically everything you can to see if the drive will work. Nothing has. I would call it dead and take a nice 20LB sledgehammer to it.

Cheers,
Mak

If the drive can not be recognized by a LiveCD or by another PC via a enclosure, then trying to format it with a Windows Install will get you no where and fast. It wont recognize the drive to even get as far as the format option. ;)

He said the laptop is recognizing the hard drive, as it gets to the XP boot screen then BSODs, so there is a chance he can get to the format screen, if the laptop still recognizes the hard drive. Like I said, it's a slim chance, but I would at least give it a try.

-Chase-

I understand that. But anychance that there was got eliminated when the drive could not be see byt the LiveCD or the Enclosure. Which was done after the latop had accessed it.

If the drive was still good in any way one of those 2 ways would have been able to at least see the drive, if they couldnt access it. Since they cant even see the drive it has to be dead.

Cheers,
Mak

I understand that. But anychance that there was got eliminated when the drive could not be see byt the LiveCD or the Enclosure. Which was done after the latop had accessed it.

If the drive was still good in any way one of those 2 ways would have been able to at least see the drive, if they couldnt access it. Since they cant even see the drive it has to be dead.

Cheers,
Mak

I've seen this happen in older computers a lot, where (for whatever the reason) the hard drive could be accessed by its original housing and not by another computer, although every time the hard drive has kicked-the-bucket a few weeks later.

I'm not trying to say you are wrong or anything, I'm just the type of person who tries every last approach, no matter what, so I can be completely sure it's dead. I suppose I'm just stubborn :D. But the hard drive is on the bleeding edge if it's not recognized by either of those methods, I definitely agree with that.

-Chase-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom