trying to set up dual monitors - AAAAAH

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexgwoodruff

Beta member
If any one is able - please help.

I have purchased 2 monitors and an AGP graphics card to run dual monitors (GeForce FX 5200). I am using Windows XP hHome Edition.I followed the instructions but I am not getting anything to the second monitor.

Firstly, the working monitor is plugged into the AGP slot, the only other slot was the original. The 2nd monitor shows power to it but nothing else.

Secondly, when I go into display>settings I am not presented with the choice of 2 monitors as the literature suggests. It does not recognize the monitor plugged into the original socket.

There is no 2nd slot on the new AGP card so I assume that one monitor must plug into the original socket.

I am very new to opening up machines.... I want to trade with my computer and hence the reason for two monitors.

If anyone is in a position to help I would be most obliged, but it must be taken step by step so that I can understand... thanks

Alex

yes that is exactly what is happening. The sales assistant told me that the new card would allow me to run dual monitors... how do I do that if not with the 'on board' port?
Thanks for answering...

Alex

ok, thanks nitestick for the advice... I will return to the store tomorrow. I have been pulling my hair out for the last 6 hours trying to sort this out..... a quiet calm has now descended over me; until tomorrow that is when I go and shove this card up his nose!!!!! :mad:

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate the input.

In order to use dual monitors, one needs to be hooked up to the standard 15 pin analogue and the other to the DVI using a standard DVI to analogue connector. You can do it with the use of one AGP and one PCI video card but that install is more problematic. That 5200 does support dual monitors using the Analogue and DVI connections.

hey alex, hope you get this before you go back to that store....check the back of your new video card...does it have 2 ports? a blue one and a white one? blue is called VGA, white is called DVI. you can plug a monitor into each of these ports to run your dual monitors....if both plugs from your monitors are VGA (blue) then you cna buy an adapter, that will attach to the end of the plug and allow you to plug into the DVI port.

this is pretty much the same thing Rico said, just thought i'd simplify it a bit. i know everyone that visits these forums may not have all the lingo down. hope this helps!

Thanks guys,
I went back to the store.... tore the salesman a new one.... and by way of an apology he gave me one of the adapters you mentioned. Hey presto 5 minutes later I have dual monitors YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA.

Thanks for the replies... thought I was going to lose my mind last night lol!!

Just make sure you install Nvidia DualView. It will make your Dual monitor expeirince alot less stressful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom