Trying to fix friends dell inspiron e1705?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamloco724

In Runtime
he downloaded something probably was a virus he got the blue screen the pc shutdown and now wont boot..i hit power and the 2nd and 3rd leds lights to the left of the power button keep blinking nothing comes up the screen then this eventually stops but the it never boots..and i cant seem to get the cdrom to open either to reinstall windows...any ideas?
Edit/Delete Message

Try clearing CMOS.

If you don't know how, do this:

unplug the computer from the wall, press the power button to discharge any remaining power in the PSU. Now open up the computer, locate the coin battery (will be silver/in a slot on the motherboard). Take that out for a few minutes, reinsert it, and then power the computer back up. See if it boots that way. If it doesnt, you may have to look online on Dell's website to see if you have to use a jumper to short out CMOS pins (should be soemwhere on Dell's site for that computer model; I know HP has instructions for it on most of theirs).

If you get the computer booted up, and still think its a virus, go through this guide: http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/spyware-removal-guide-osiris-165828/

If possible, check temperatures of the CPU with CoreTemp (google for it). Could also try blowing the dust out of the PC with compressed can of air, or a regular air compressor (if you have access to one).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom