Trying to find the problem, might be motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudius Graves

Solid State Member
So pretty much every time I do a fresh install of an OS things work fine. Then when I leave my computer off for the night and turn it on in the mornings, I keep getting a system failure and my computer keeps restarting until I do a hard boot. I started out using Windows Xp and after this things happen it would mention things about the registry, such as, "One of the files containing the systems Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. the recovery was successful" The OS would steadily become more and more unstable until doing certain things like a virus scan would cause the computer to crash and restart. I saw no Blue Screens. I started out on a 200 gig Maxator HDD then the Seagate HDD still have the same problems.

I then decided to get Windows 7, fresh install, every thing works fine at first. Then the next morning it would log in, windows pop up saying "an unexpected error has occurred Such and Such Needs to close". Or I get a couple of windows that have a bunch of zeros. Then before I can read the error messages properly the computer restarts and the same stuff happens until I do a hard boot. When I finally get into windows without it crashing it saying how it recovered from a serious system error. I get blue screens occasionally. At this point I'm thinking about having my camera ready when this happens again so I can see what patterns of zeros and letters I'm getting.

At this point I pretty much diagnosed that I have a hard ware problem. I used Memtest86 on both my RAM sticks separately and found no errors. Then when I have both my RAM sticks in and run Memtest86 it runs for only a second then the computer restarts.

I''m checking my Drivers and finding no problems to my knowledge. Though, if I run my computer long enough and look in the Driver Verifier Manager I notice certain drivers become unloaded. mainly it's amdmsr32.sys. I don't know if they means any thing.

I'm thinking about wiping and replacing my hard drive since it's the only part I have that I can replace for free.

Does any know any way to tell if I have a power supply/HDD/Motherboard/Processor problem?

EDIT: Some extra info. My friend was helping me put it together and he took the motherboard battery out and put it back in while we where trying to get it to boot up. I also used the Asus BIOS update utility, but the problems haven't change. Also when did Virus scans they all find nothing, AVG, Malware Bytes, and Avast.

The stuff I have in this machine
Hard drive: is a Barracuda 3.5" SATA 1 terabyte Internal Drive, but I had this problem on another hard drive as well.
Mother Board: ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard.
Graphics card: XFX HD-477A-YDFC Radeon HD 4770 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card.
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor.
Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply.

Sorry for the double post, but I got some new info and it wouldn't let me update my topic post.

Whent I try to use the ASUS BIOS update utilaty in windows 7 it blue screens and saying it was because a driver was accessing the kernal in attempt to cause damage. I also tried installing a chip set driver update manually by downloading it and running the set up. This also caused a blue screen and something about unstable drivers.

I was also doing research about manually setting the RAM timing and voltage, the problem is is that I don't know how to do this without causing problems or not.

This sounds very much like a bad HDD, sounds like the sectors have lost the ability to retain the information. So on fresh install everything works fine, but after it set the info is literally floating off into space. There is a program you can use called PC Check, you will need to burn it to a CD (it is a program you boot into) That is easy to use and fairly effective. You can also find the program on Hiren's Boot CD (this also has many other helpful testing tools). I would test the HDD esp.

This sounds very much like a bad HDD, sounds like the sectors have lost the ability to retain the information. So on fresh install everything works fine, but after it set the info is literally floating off into space. There is a program you can use called PC Check, you will need to burn it to a CD (it is a program you boot into) That is easy to use and fairly effective. You can also find the program on Hiren's Boot CD (this also has many other helpful testing tools). I would test the HDD esp.

This Hiren's Boot Cd sounds very useful, I'm having a hard time trying to find a download though. I can't seem to find it on Hiren's site. Well I'm tired, so I think I'll try to search for it tomorrow after work.

I can't seem to find the PC Check on Hiren's Boot Cd, in fact I'm kinda confuse don what half this stuff does.

Okay, I found it, I'll use it after work tomorrow. If all goes well I'll return my (hopefully) faulty hard drive to Walmart, get a new one, and never buy computer parts from Walmart ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom