Trying to add a WD Green Caviar...

Status
Not open for further replies.

glucky

Beta member
I cannot get my system to recognize a new WD Green Caviar 500GB HDD.

I've updated the bios to the latest ASUS offering (v1008) for that MOBO and I believe I've set the bios to the proper settings according to its manual, but still nothing. The HDD spins and when I had it plugged into the wrong MOBO controller SATA connection (the one for RAID arrays), the bios recognized it, but now that I have it connected to the proper MOBO SATA controller, I get nothing.

More info: The current HDD is an IDE drive running Win7-32bit. the MOBO is ASUS K8V SE Deluxe.

Should I expect to see the new drive show up there in Windows Administration?

Help plz...pulling my hair out with a ZILLION re-boots...ugh....:very_angry:

**gsl

You most likely have to format it.

Right click Computer, choose manage, go to the Disk Management on the left list. Your drive should be there on the bottom pane. Right click on it, and format it.

If your other hdd is a IDE version try telling bios to start up with ACHI mode, and put your new western digital 500 on raid 3.
I Have the same hdd you bought, when you get everything straightened out, I recommend you format it and use it as a backup drive.

That cavier green doesn't do well as being the main hdd for windows os, even had the technician tell me at WD it wasn't meant for that anyway.

Mike, he doesn't want to run it as the OS, he wants to add it to his system. What you just said is irrelevant, IMHO.

I don't think ACHI would help any.

Mike, he doesn't want to run it as the OS, he wants to add it to his system. What you just said is irrelevant, IMHO.

I don't think ACHI would help any.

Please what I said again thoroughly, I know he wants to use the hdd for second space, but listen what he says about his main hdd..
What type of hdd is he using mind, also what type of new connector does he have for his new hdd mind ?

I have done this before with ide and sata configurations long ago, sometimes a raid mode in his situation might not do well.
That is why I recommended he try ACHI right after both hdd's show in bios and let him configure it there for windows to finally boot correctly with the new hdd.

Besides that, if his windows 7 saw the hdd, it would begin to install the generic drivers and ask him to reboot to initiate his new hdd.

RAID 3 is meant for 3 or more disks used with large file applications. There is no way to apply the array properly with one drive, and even then if he's using it for anything but large movies and files, you're going to be wasting a lot of disk space.

Also, when switching to AHCI mode (not ACHI, there's no such thing), you'll need a Windows 7 disk or repair disk handy in case the switch fails, which happens very often after altering the registry.

First do what Mindover said and if that fails, then we can take you through some different methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom