troubleshoot help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tadow

In Runtime
My mobo died so I replaced it and the PSU. I couldn't get past the POST where it detects the IDE drive until I unplugged my DVD drive off of the second IDE slot. When I plug it in it just hangs up at the POST. Anyone heard of this? Is the drive bad?

Move the DVD drive to the secondary IDE controller. The CD/DVD drive actually slow down your hard drive performance if it's on the same IDE channel. Make sure you set your DVD drive as Master and plug it in to first IDE slot of the secondary IDE controller.

Check that your jumper is set properly and that your IDE cable is attached so that pin 1 is aligned. Pin 1 is indicated by the red line near the edge.

Move the DVD drive to the secondary IDE controller. The CD/DVD drive actually slow down your hard drive performance if it's on the same IDE channel. Make sure you set your DVD drive as Master and plug it in to first IDE slot of the secondary IDE controller.

Check that your jumper is set properly and that your IDE cable is attached so that pin 1 is aligned. Pin 1 is indicated by the red line near the edge.

Yeah it's on the 2nd IDE channel by itself. I tried it set up as master and also set as Cable select. If it's plugged in period it hangs up at the POST when it's detecting the IDE channels. If I unhook it boots into windows just fine. The only thing I really have left to try is another ribbon cable, if that doesn't work I will have to get a new dvd drive. I was just wondering if anyone had seen this happen before /shrug

It sounds like the ribbon cable is connected in reverse. Does it have a tab and slot to make sure it only goes one way? If not it may be backward.

Happens to me all the time, problems with CD/DVD drive I fix the most at work, it's usually a bad cable, incorrectly attached or the drive has failed. Test the drive out on another system and you might isolate the problem with the drive.

Lol.....yeah I feel dumb...

I got home and flipped the connector over and it worked. It's crazy that a dvd/cd drive that isn't plugged in correctly can completely stop the machine from booting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom