troubleshoot help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default troubleshoot help

My mobo died so I replaced it and the PSU. I couldn't get past the POST where it detects the IDE drive until I unplugged my DVD drive off of the second IDE slot. When I plug it in it just hangs up at the POST. Anyone heard of this? Is the drive bad?

Old 06-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

Default Re: troubleshoot help

Move the DVD drive to the secondary IDE controller. The CD/DVD drive actually slow down your hard drive performance if it's on the same IDE channel. Make sure you set your DVD drive as Master and plug it in to first IDE slot of the secondary IDE controller.

Check that your jumper is set properly and that your IDE cable is attached so that pin 1 is aligned. Pin 1 is indicated by the red line near the edge.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Move the DVD drive to the secondary IDE controller. The CD/DVD drive actually slow down your hard drive performance if it's on the same IDE channel. Make sure you set your DVD drive as Master and plug it in to first IDE slot of the secondary IDE controller.

Check that your jumper is set properly and that your IDE cable is attached so that pin 1 is aligned. Pin 1 is indicated by the red line near the edge.
Yeah it's on the 2nd IDE channel by itself. I tried it set up as master and also set as Cable select. If it's plugged in period it hangs up at the POST when it's detecting the IDE channels. If I unhook it boots into windows just fine. The only thing I really have left to try is another ribbon cable, if that doesn't work I will have to get a new dvd drive. I was just wondering if anyone had seen this happen before /shrug
Old 06-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

It sounds like the ribbon cable is connected in reverse. Does it have a tab and slot to make sure it only goes one way? If not it may be backward.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave1984 View Post
It sounds like the ribbon cable is connected in reverse. Does it have a tab and slot to make sure it only goes one way? If not it may be backward.
Yeah there was no tab/slot to differentiate so that could be it
Old 06-04-2007, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

Happens to me all the time, problems with CD/DVD drive I fix the most at work, it's usually a bad cable, incorrectly attached or the drive has failed. Test the drive out on another system and you might isolate the problem with the drive.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Lol.....yeah I feel dumb...

I got home and flipped the connector over and it worked. It's crazy that a dvd/cd drive that isn't plugged in correctly can completely stop the machine from booting.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

that's b/c of the cmos option halt on all errors.

Closed Thread