troubleshoot DVD drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

concentration

Beta member
Hello I have the following problem and hope to see if anyone know how to fix it

I am using window xp and having 1 DVD rom and 1 CDRW
one day the DVD rom seem to be not working at all.
the setup menu on the start up show it do detect the driver tho
and in "my computer" the DVD rom has change to "CD drive" any disc put into it won't work
I thought the DVD rom is dead so i go buy a new one, installed it and i am sure the jumper is correct but still not working
as for now i have 3 drive at my home, the orignal CDRW, DVDrom, and the new purchased DVDrom.
what seems to work tho, is when i only plug in one of the drive instead of 2
any combination of 2 drive: DVDrom+newDVDrom/ DVDrom+CDRW/CDRW+NewDVDrom just won't work

when i change the above combination, the comp will be able to detect the driver and when i go device manager, the drive of the above drive are being installing/installed, but still not working
any idea what is causing the problem?
As it was working just fine for the last 6 month. But i didn't install any new software/hardware before the problem happen, I wonder could it be a virus/spyware related problem?

It happens if you use virtual drive creating softwares like Alcohol %120, Daemon Tools, Virtual Cd etc... If you use these, you have to format HDD. If you dont and still have the problem, then check the cables that you use for connecting dvd rom to your computer. Changing the cables must fix the problem I guess. If it doesnt work, then change the motherboard.

Before you change the the motherboard!! You said the jumpers where right, what are they set at?? You need to make the dvd burner the master and the cdrw the slave, not the other way around and not cable select.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom